GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Yeah get well soon Hoon and seek medical attention if you start having problems breathing.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Get well soon, man!

Are you starting your phone list to call everyone you've come in contact with in the past two weeks?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Sooooo much THIS. Get it delivered, unless 'rona has you floored and you're sleeping all day

Not floored, but definitely not feeling like being in a cold garage spinning wrenches yet either.

Get well soon, man!

Are you starting your phone list to call everyone you've come in contact with in the past two weeks?

I have been practicing distancing but when your immediate family works in a hospital and has had contact with COVID patients every day for the last 21 days, its tough. I hadn't had contact with anyone outside of immediate family for 4 days prior to symptoms, which is the earliest you can be contagious.

Man that sucks. Can't they deliver it to your home? That way you will have something to do while in quarantine.

I have a buddy that owes me a favor. Its about an hour drive each way to the machine shop but i can talk him into it lol.

What were initial symptoms and made you want to get tested? Can the machine shop deliver the engine so you can knock out while youre stuck at home?

Bit of weird gastrointestinal rumblings, followed by cough (heavy mucus in chest, cant cough it up), and fever soon after.

If you need someone to drop beer off on your doorstep, lmk...

Appreciate that, but alcohol is the last thing i want right now lol.

First on the forum, congrats ?

Lol, great

I'm just saying, if you can drop off beer, you could drop off a block... Rhode Island is what, like 4.3 miles wide, shouldn't take long :LOL:

Lol, it's small but opposite corners. I can get the block picked up im sure

FKKKKKKK!!! that's terrible news, I'm glad symptoms are mild though and the 2 weeks at home sucks but seems like with vast majority of people the symptoms improve dramatically within a few days and then you're just bored and a little tired. Hope you get better soon, and time to play some playstation....

Once i start feeling a bit less tired i'll probably be spending a decent amount of time in the reloading room and garage. I really want to start getting the engine back together though!

Yeah get well soon Hoon and seek medical attention if you start having problems breathing.
Will do, no breathing issues so far though!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Feel better thats tough. I was out today grabbing some stuff from home depot and i do see alot more people wearing mask and protective gear. Not sure how much that actually helps but hang in there, we are rooting for ya

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not floored, but definitely not feeling like being in a cold garage spinning wrenches yet either.

I have been practicing distancing but when your immediate family works in a hospital and has had contact with COVID patients every day for the last 21 days, its tough. I hadn't had contact with anyone outside of immediate family for 4 days prior to symptoms, which is the earliest you can be contagious.

I have a buddy that owes me a favor. Its about an hour drive each way to the machine shop but i can talk him into it lol.

Bit of weird gastrointestinal rumblings, followed by cough (heavy mucus in chest, cant cough it up), and fever soon after.

Appreciate that, but alcohol is the last thing i want right now lol.

Lol, great

Lol, it's small but opposite corners. I can get the block picked up im sure

Once i start feeling a bit less tired i'll probably be spending a decent amount of time in the reloading room and garage. I really want to start getting the engine back together though!

Will do, no breathing issues so far though!

Where are you getting 3 days latency period from?

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/...-disease-2019-covid-19-from-publicly-reported

Hoon

Autocross Champion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You're not contagious during the incubation period (until the end). 14 days, while possible, is also very rare.

Most people are not contagious until 2 days before symptoms appear, with 4 days being about the earliest they have found.

So how are you doing?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You're not contagious during the incubation period (until the end). 14 days, while possible, is also very rare.

Most people are not contagious until 2 days before symptoms appear, with 4 days being about the earliest they have found.

Do you have a source? CDC has no data on when you're contagious and a small German study says patients maybe contagious almost the entire incubation period. There just isn't enough information, so you have to assume you were contagious.

I hope you're feeling better. Hang in there.

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion

quoted for truth. 14 days is worse case. You usually know way sooner.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
quoted for truth. 14 days is worse case. You usually know way sooner.

Again, we don't actually know if that's true.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I'm a doctor in the NYC hospitals during the outbreak.. it's what I've seen in 1000's of cases. Not from spending a couple minutes on google.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm a doctor in the NYC hospitals during the outbreak.. it's what I've seen in 1000's of cases. Not from spending a couple minutes on google.

I'm only a PA, so please explain to stupid ole me how you determined at what point people are contagious.

How are you "seeing" that?

Navi

Autocross Champion
I didn't say people are stupid in PA. I'm saying that I have more experience in this just like the tire shop knows more about mounting tires than I do. But I guess you didn't catch that. Hoon has caught it and has family that work in the field and what he described is what I've seen in pretty much every case. I would imagine he has researched the shit out of Covid 19 once he found he has it, as that's what everyone does when they find out.

I'm seeing it with my eyes cause I'm not Stevie Wonder. If you've got it all figured out, then you've got it all figured out.

Hope you get better soon homie! Sounds like you got the best case scenario of the disease. Can't wait for the engine built to continue.

Reactions: q74