GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I thought you where going with Brute rods and JE pistons, what changed?

Time constraints.

The machine shop took way too long, and the JEs were a 4-6 week wait. IE had them on the shelf, so I just ordered their package.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's very impressive Hoon. Far from DIY-ish though. I can't wait for the first start.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Coming soon to roads in Rhode Island.

1589206932153.jpeg

Hoon

Autocross Champion
so what is the target for this build to be putting down? 500+?

Nothing crazy, 540-560whp.

At 500whp I already couldn't hook below 100mph on street tires so there really isn't any point to making more power. I'd rather stay with the Vortex XL and maintain great spool and response.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Even if we wanted to go over 600 whp in this platform, the only turbo thatll get you there comfortably is an ims kit. It wouldn't be worth the 4500$ for those gains I think

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion

At 500whp I already couldn't hook below 100mph on street tires so there really isn't any point to making more power. I'd rather stay with the Vortex XL and maintain great spool and response.

this looks so awesome!!

550whp in one of these Mk7 GTIs shoudl surprise the shit out of a lot of fast stuff hahaha... in for vids of a hatchback VW taking c6 z06s and some bolt on GTRs to gapple bees

what kind of traction control and/or boost by gear do you plan to use? could always ramp in the higher boost levels in the bigger gears anyway. I'd bet with some Nt555r tires and dial in suspension (double adjustable shocks in the rear?) could probably put down some pretty good power in 3rd gear

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Going to be hard to find anyone who wants to race from a 100 roll. 😂

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

Since it is more of a project car than a daily at this point maybe go for Haldex swap next winter. :devilish: