GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Spoke to the machine shop today, they're doing the head now (Just cleaning and swapping valve springs, a resurface only if necessary), and will be taking measurements of the block shortly.

So, no carnage vid then?
No I have some teardown video/photo stuff I need to work on so people have a bit of an overview, but oddly there's no carnage at all. Everything inside the motor looks fantastic, including the bores. The rings just weren't sealing.

The GTI/A3 and R/S3 have different rings, and there are several GTI/A3s showing the same symptoms with compression loss and oil consumption, but no actual broken components. I think the low tension fuel economy rings used in the GTI just can't withstand extreme heat and pressure for a long period of time. Like I said, when I unbolted the rods the pistons slid halfway down the bore all on their own, and the block was at an angle. If the block was vertical, the pistons and rods would have fallen right out as soon as they were unbolted.

don't forget the locktite and silcone or Tasos will have nothing to do later

ordered five large tubes of red loctite to make sure my head gasket is sealed, lol

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Spoke to the machine shop today, they're doing the head now (Just cleaning and swapping valve springs, a resurface only if necessary), and will be taking measurements of the block shortly.

No I have some teardown video/photo stuff I need to work on so people have a bit of an overview, but oddly there's no carnage at all. Everything inside the motor looks fantastic, including the bores. The rings just weren't sealing.

The GTI/A3 and R/S3 have different rings, and there are several GTI/A3s showing the same symptoms with compression loss and oil consumption, but no actual broken components. I think the low tension fuel economy rings used in the GTI just can't withstand extreme heat and pressure for a long period of time. Like I said, when I unbolted the rods the pistons slid halfway down the bore all on their own, and the block was at an angle. If the block was vertical, the pistons and rods would have fallen right out as soon as they were unbolted.

ordered five large tubes of red loctite to make sure my head gasket is sealed, lol

The loctite is for all the studs and bolts! Make sure you have silicone sealant and copper gasket maker for the head gasket. Layer it on real good, slather on the red loctite on to the bolts and hit it with a impact gun.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
The loctite is for all the studs and bolts! Make sure you have silicone sealant and copper gasket maker for the head gasket. Layer it on real good, slather on the red loctite on to the bolts and hit it with a impact gun.

I'm going to coat the whole gasket with it, I've heard that's what the top tier engine builders do ?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
IMG_20200103_181233_01.jpg

So, some quick updates.

I had the machine shop spec the Golf R valvesprings vs the GTI springs and they're absolutely identical. With the heavier GTI valves, I was already on the limit of what I could rev the motor to, and even though I don't want to go a whole lot higher I'd like a bit of extra headroom for reliability sake.

As a result, I bought IE springs, and because I'm already this deep in, added IE guides, seals, and Ferrea valves (stock size).

The machine shop noted that only about half the valve seals from my head were usable because some had little to no tension, which they think was contributing to the oil consumption. Might be something to keep in mind for others.

Also, 3 of the 4 cylinders had cracking around the spark plug holes. I've seen this before on other engines and it's not usually a problem. Posted it on FB and no one really thought it was an issue, and the machinist thinks it's fine also. Head was pressure tested and doesn't leak, so I'm sending it.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Alright so I wasnt gonna tear my motor down until u started buying parts for it but it was bugging the shit out of me to see what failed, and I wasnt really expecting to find what I found, I managed to bend the #1 rod, I'm lucky though since it all stayed in the motor and didnt leave me a window. The block should be good, some scoring in the cylinder but dont think it's to bad, 83mm bore should take care of it, crank is probably fine but I'll probably have it checked in the process.

Attachments

• 20200108_171406.jpg
    20200108_171406.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20200108_171355.jpg
    20200108_171355.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20200108_171730.jpg
    20200108_171730.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200108_171723.jpg
    20200108_171723.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 169

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Damn RR! What issues did you have prior to breaking down your block?
Car was running to good was the issue lol. I think it all started months ago when I was having fueling issues and during all the replacing of parts, testing, and knock events it from the past took its toll, once i got it all sorted out and running good i just kept adding power and all it took was 1 minor °3 knock event in that cylinder only is when it went

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Car was running to good was the issue lol. I think it all started months ago when I was having fueling issues and during all the replacing of parts, testing, and knock events it from the past took its toll, once i got it all sorted out and running good i just kept adding power and all it took was 1 minor °3 knock event in that cylinder only is when it went

Do you have a log of that pull which made that piston rod go? =)

Last edited: