GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hmm - which car to autocross

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Previously I was running my '13 GTI in GS, and my wife was running her '07 Mini Cooper S in STX.

Now, I have a kart for my two kids share in JA and JB. This means we can't take two cars and the truck (to haul the kart) out for a day - so my wife and I will need to share a car.

If we run my new '16 GTI (PP/MT) I'd leave it stock, with the exception of a rear swaybar. We'd have more power and that LSD, but it would be a bigger car and I'd need to pony up for a second set of rims for track day tires.

The MCS is lowered, with camber plates, rear swaybar, intake and exhaust, and has a good autocross oriented alignment. It turns-in and grips great in corners, but suffers from typical Mini handling bugs, like crazy torque steer and bump steer. We already have a second set of rims for race tires.

I know the real answer is we need to try both cars and decide for ourselves, but I thought it would make an interesting discussion, since there's not a ton of activity in this sub-forum.

gx33

Ready to race!
Previously I was running my '13 GTI in GS, and my wife was running her '07 Mini Cooper S in STX.

Now, I have a kart for my two kids share in JA and JB. This means we can't take two cars and the truck (to haul the kart) out for a day - so my wife and I will need to share a car.

If we run my new '16 GTI (PP/MT) I'd leave it stock, with the exception of a rear swaybar. We'd have more power and that LSD, but it would be a bigger car and I'd need to pony up for a second set of rims for track day tires.

The MCS is lowered, with camber plates, rear swaybar, intake and exhaust, and has a good autocross oriented alignment. It turns-in and grips great in corners, but suffers from typical Mini handling bugs, like crazy torque steer and bump steer. We already have a second set of rims for race tires.

I know the real answer is we need to try both cars and decide for ourselves, but I thought it would make an interesting discussion, since there's not a ton of activity in this sub-forum.

Having owned both cars - I have no doubt that you are better off running the mini. It is all about fun in the end, and the mini is more fun in that situation plain and simple.

gx33

Ready to race!
Then again - My 09 Cooper S was not known for it's reliability :rolleyes:

*Edit just reread your comment about dedicated set of track day tires/wheels

If the MINI does not have factory LSD option, I would highly suggest an aftermarket one :)

Swede

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm not sure the mk7 rear sway bar thing is figured out yet. Strano showed up with his 6mt pp this past weekend and beat 13 GS'ers, which included 4 other national level drivers. He was on stock sways with rival-s's.

I'm taking my 26 H&R mm rsb off this week and going back to stock for the remaining 2 or 3 events.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Then again - My 09 Cooper S was not known for it's reliability :rolleyes:

*Edit just reread your comment about dedicated set of track day tires/wheels

If the MINI does not have factory LSD option, I would highly suggest an aftermarket one :)

Tires will likely be the deciding factor. We've both been running decent summer tires, but not 200 TW. With just one car, we could afford it. The mini's stock 16" would be a little cheaper too (gotta factor kart tires and everything else into the equation)

The Mini's been pretty good on reliability (knock on wood). We had the timing chain fixed under recall and cleaned the carbon out of the intake. I'm not sure I want to dump more money for mods into it yet though.

The real crux is: if i beat my wife in her own car, they'll be hell to pay.:p

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure the mk7 rear sway bar thing is figured out yet. Strano showed up with his 6mt pp this past weekend and beat 13 GS'ers, which included 4 other national level drivers. He was on stock sways with rival-s's.

I'm taking my 26 H&R mm rsb off this week and going back to stock for the remaining 2 or 3 events.

I've only got 150-miles on my new GTI, so I don't really have a feel for it yet. I just assumed a RSB would be needed, since it helped alot with my MKVI.

gx33

Ready to race!
Tires will likely be the deciding factor. We've both been running decent summer tires, but not 200 TW. With just one car, we could afford it. The mini's stock 16" would be a little cheaper too (gotta factor kart tires and everything else into the equation)

The Mini's been pretty good on reliability (knock on wood). We had the timing chain fixed under recall and cleaned the carbon out of the intake. I'm not sure I want to dump more money for mods into it yet though.

The real crux is: if i beat my wife in her own car, they'll be hell to pay.:p

I had the same mods with the addition of the Alta Stage 1 tune and Forge IC. Can't say enough good things about a tune for street use if you can find a used AccesPort but not without the IC (though I'm sure there are better tunes available since I was last involved in the MINI life)

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

I think it can use a stiffer bar, but probably not 26mm......Would be curious if Strano ended up with something similar to SuperPro, which is currently the only bar maker with an adjustable rear(22mm).

I also feel slightly wary of judging this in colder weather and not on concrete. National sites tend to be majority concrete site and in the hot of summer my car never felt as loose as it is now.

Swede

Passed Driver's Ed
He said he's going to start working on a rsb.

Next season, after we figure which tire to get, Im going to start over with what parts to use and where. I have a big fsb and the h&r rear to play with, sitting in the closet. But, youre right, its too cold now to try and figure anything out

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I sent him my stock rear bar since I had it lying around and he needed one for template...:D

Need to figure out my damper situation in the off season.

03threefiftyz

Only ran sat, but not all the foci. Sam and I both bought the cars in the past few weeks. Both are stock with tires (though his may have exhaust). No bar or shocks on either. Unfortunately mine is now in the shop with misfire codes after 1000 miles. Not pleased. Maybe I'll make 'em buy it back and try the GTI.

Susq adds the cone time and the cone count, which is a bit unusual...