GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hit a traffic cone in the center lane of the highway, is it easy to swap out the lower grille myself?

OaklandGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I hit a traffic cone in the center lane of the highway while going about 65. It happened at the exact moment I changed lanes behind a truck, and didn't see it until it was too late. Hit it, and it broke parts of my lower grille as well and cracked the thin bezel of the lower edge of the front bumper. Darn.

Is it easy to pop out the lower grille to replace this myself? Has anyone ever done this?
I know it's just plastic clips, but sometimes those clips are maddening, and/or might be tough to access without raising it a bit.

And even then, I would still have to fix that split in the bottom front number bezel that cracked. Argh.

Do it myself with the part (Part Number: 5GM853677D9B9) off eBay for about $100? Have a pro do it?
Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
How much is your time worth? I would watch a youtube video and dedicate a saturday morning to this rather than paying someone $200 to take my bumper off and change some plastic.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
It was my understanding that removing it was the tough more delicate part. Since the cone took care of that for you, I believe installing the new one should be easy..

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Taking the bumper off is easy. From there you can experiment with removing the grill. Based on the youtube video it was difficult. Since it is broken things can't go that wrong, but if things are going wrong stop and reassess.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I had a similar incident on the freeway, I'm not sure about yours but the damage done to mine was more than just the front bumper/grill - the condenser, radiator support, and more all needed to be replaced. Luckily it was covered by insurance so I only had to pay the $500 deductible
20171206_105357.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-14 101428.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-14 101519.jpg