GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

His and Her's wagon's

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Well brake upgrades on mine are happening sooner than I thought.. Currently I have store 272mm rear brakes and a (used) 328mm ST-40 Stoptech kit. The pads in the Stoptech's are a bit worn, and the rotor rings are close to needing replacement. Given that, I've been considering replacing the whole setup with something a touch bigger up front. My first choice for awhile has been a 355mm Stoptech kit, though that has certainly stretching my budget a bit.. In looking around I found someone selling a Tarox 360mm Super Sport kit for a decent price, though not super stoked on the blue color of the calipers. A consideration of mine has been fitting 17x9" Apex SM-10's, as getting a set of those has been on my radar, waiting to hear back from Apex on clearance on the Tarox kit before committing to buying it.

In the rear.. I found someone selling a set of new 310mm Stoptech rotors meant for a Golf R / GTI with power pack for real cheap, so a snapped those up, and just today bought a set of rear GTI Powerpack calipers from a place that parts out wrecked cars, so that will complete the rear. Likely will paint the rear calipers silver of black.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Brakes! Will be installing these over the weekend along with GTI powerpack rears on my wagon. I have the normal street pads they come with for now, but considering DS2500’s or maybe RSL19’s if the boss allows me to sign up for a track day in December for my birthday..

9D6A0F1D-1EC0-48EC-A5EF-316BCC6BD695.jpeg

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Brakes are on! Along with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads and a Apex stud kit. Once bedding in, the brake pedal is nicely solid, and the brakes work great. One issue I've noticed is a little fluid collecting by the front bleeder valves, despite them being snugged down properly.. Hoping this is just some leftover fluid from inside the bleed nipple..

IMG_2141.jpg

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Well a couple updates, got the APR front brakes and GTI Power Pack rears on, MAN are they good! I also have been wanting a second set of wheels for track tires, so I took advantage of Apex's deals and got some bronze 17x9" SM-10's and some 255/40r17 Hankook R-S4's

This last Saturday I put it all to the test with my first track day at Laguna Seca, holy crap is was super fun! Other than needing to dodge some sketchy drivers, no issues at all. I was a little worried how the cooling system would hold up, but it was a cool day and the oil temps never got higher than 237 degrees. I tried to focus on being smooth and learning the track, the cornering speeds I can do and how late I can brake. I'm nowhere near the limits of cornering speed or braking, but managed to get comfortable enough to hold it flat over the crest on the front straight. I had Harry's Laptimer going just for the hell of it and ended up seeing a best lap of 2:01.06, but was only able to figure out the video later and captured a best on video of 2:03

Overall, super fun, cannot wait to go again..

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well a couple updates, got the APR front brakes and GTI Power Pack rears on, MAN are they good! I also have been wanting a second set of wheels for track tires, so I took advantage of Apex's deals and got some bronze 17x9" SM-10's and some 255/40r17 Hankook R-S4's

This last Saturday I put it all to the test with my first track day at Laguna Seca, holy crap is was super fun! Other than needing to dodge some sketchy drivers, no issues at all. I was a little worried how the cooling system would hold up, but it was a cool day and the oil temps never got higher than 237 degrees. I tried to focus on being smooth and learning the track, the cornering speeds I can do and how late I can brake. I'm nowhere near the limits of cornering speed or braking, but managed to get comfortable enough to hold it flat over the crest on the front straight. I had Harry's Laptimer going just for the hell of it and ended up seeing a best lap of 2:01.06, but was only able to figure out the video later and captured a best on video of 2:03

Overall, super fun, cannot wait to go again..

Looks like a blast, but to get the best time you have to launch it straight through on the Corkscrew

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Looks like a blast, but to get the best time you have to launch it straight through on the Corkscrew
Ah dang, I knew I was missing something!

in all seriousness, faster times will come with more experience. I think most of the time I’m leaving on the table is coming from cornering speeds, and a bit from braking too soon and not hard enough. I’d love to think that with dialing that stuff in I could eventually get it into the low 1:50’s, that would be a win for me!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
How are those 034 f camber mounts w/r to NVH?

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
How are those 034 f camber mounts w/r to NVH?
Overall, not bad at all. My wife’s car currently has the same suspension setup I had on mine, except hers has stock top mounts with the Eurosport pucks instead of the 034 mounts. I’d say for normal driving on decently maintained roads, it’s not a massive difference, where it makes the bigger difference if harsh impacts from a pot hole etc, those are definitely sharper. I don't regret them at all and would buy again. That said, if you think you’re wanting to go aggressive with the track setup, having a proper camber plate to get more camber might be something to consider. With the 034 mounts, Super Pro alloy arms and lowering, I’m -2.1 up front, I could see wanting more for track duty, though I think I personally would edge towards getting a dedicated track car at that point..

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Got my car washed for the first time in a few months, forgot just how red tornado red is!

I also lowered the rear a bit to be closer matched to the front, sitting at 25” fender to ground front, and as close as I could get to that in the rear. In adjusting the rears, I noted right and left spring perches were nowhere near the same place even with the ride height being almost the same, so I think I’ve got some issues with sway bar preload maybe. I’ve got adjustable length end links for front and rear, just haven’t been able to install them, partially because we’ve now moved back to the Santa Cruz area and are staying with my parents, so I’ve got no garage to use.

considering biting the bullet and paying someone to install them and have the car corner balances as well while we’re at it..

A52586C3-C131-410A-9265-8D442219C5CD.jpeg

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
On Saturday I did Laguna Seca again, met @Will_ out there and saw his GTI, was nice to meet him in person, and he came to the track day all smart and prepared with some camping chairs and an easy up, was super thankful to be able to use them! My main goal for the day was to try and get under 2 minutes, first session out I did a best of 2:01.5, almost matching my best last time I went, but was struggling with understeer. Initially I tried to set the front sway bar to the middle setting after realizing I'd had it on full stiff, but couldn't get the end link out of the bar and ended up doing the second session with it in the stiffest setting again. In my second session I started focusing on braking harder and later into turn 2 and 5, as I knew I was massively overslowing for those. I found that with the Ferodo DS2500's I had, If I braked as hard as I could about halfway between the 2 and 3 board coming into turn 2, While I'd make that corner mostly fine, by the time I got to turn 5 the brakes would still be pretty warm and wouldn't bite as hard, so I need to work on figuring out how to best manage that. In the second session I did a best of 1:55.63, which made me over the moon stoked, but then on the second to last lap was 2 seconds up on that time coming into turn 10 before catching traffic, naturally..
Between the 2nd and 3rd sessions I got the front swaybar adjusted and went ahead and put it in the softer setting, and holy moly that was a massive help! Early in my 3rd session I found myself with 2 Porsche Cayman's in front of me and a 911 Turbo Cab behind me, naturally these cars should be WAY faster than me, but this was the beginner group.. While I was about as fast or slightly faster in the corners then them, they'd of course pull a gap when it was straight, and I found myself way overdriving the car trying to stay with them so I realized I should let them go and focus! Doing so, I managed to get a 1:55.33 (lap in video below), which was sort of satisfying, except for a few issues..

Currently all the programing on my car (save for APR stage 1 tune), is stock, and even with stability control "off" the slightest bit of a slight and it steps in HARD even if I already caught the slide. On my 1:55.33 lap the car got a little loose through turn 3, and stability control kicked in hard and even after I was going straight towards turn 4, wouldn't give full power till I fully let off and then got back on it. I've also noticed that even when there's no sliding at all and plenty of traction, It limits power when turning even if you floor it, so I think I need to get an OBDEleven and see what sort of coding I can do to help with those things, and I recall some things others have recommended for track use to code out (like straight ahead brake stabilization?).

Not sure when the next track day will be.. Was considering Thunderhill 5 mile next weekend, but my wife doesn't want me going that far just yet, there's one at Laguna Seca with NCRC on February 21st, so maybe that? Regardless the new goal is under 1:53, which seems like maybe it's possible, if I can do that, maybe see if I can match the time Randy Pobst did in a stock '15 GTI (1:50.11)? we shall see!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
On Saturday I did Laguna Seca again, met @Will_ out there and saw his GTI, was nice to meet him in person, and he came to the track day all smart and prepared with some camping chairs and an easy up, was super thankful to be able to use them! My main goal for the day was to try and get under 2 minutes, first session out I did a best of 2:01.5, almost matching my best last time I went, but was struggling with understeer. Initially I tried to set the front sway bar to the middle setting after realizing I'd had it on full stiff, but couldn't get the end link out of the bar and ended up doing the second session with it in the stiffest setting again. In my second session I started focusing on braking harder and later into turn 2 and 5, as I knew I was massively overslowing for those. I found that with the Ferodo DS2500's I had, If I braked as hard as I could about halfway between the 2 and 3 board coming into turn 2, While I'd make that corner mostly fine, by the time I got to turn 5 the brakes would still be pretty warm and wouldn't bite as hard, so I need to work on figuring out how to best manage that. In the second session I did a best of 1:55.63, which made me over the moon stoked, but then on the second to last lap was 2 seconds up on that time coming into turn 10 before catching traffic, naturally..
Between the 2nd and 3rd sessions I got the front swaybar adjusted and went ahead and put it in the softer setting, and holy moly that was a massive help! Early in my 3rd session I found myself with 2 Porsche Cayman's in front of me and a 911 Turbo Cab behind me, naturally these cars should be WAY faster than me, but this was the beginner group.. While I was about as fast or slightly faster in the corners then them, they'd of course pull a gap when it was straight, and I found myself way overdriving the car trying to stay with them so I realized I should let them go and focus! Doing so, I managed to get a 1:55.33 (lap in video below), which was sort of satisfying, except for a few issues..

Currently all the programing on my car (save for APR stage 1 tune), is stock, and even with stability control "off" the slightest bit of a slight and it steps in HARD even if I already caught the slide. On my 1:55.33 lap the car got a little loose through turn 3, and stability control kicked in hard and even after I was going straight towards turn 4, wouldn't give full power till I fully let off and then got back on it. I've also noticed that even when there's no sliding at all and plenty of traction, It limits power when turning even if you floor it, so I think I need to get an OBDEleven and see what sort of coding I can do to help with those things, and I recall some things others have recommended for track use to code out (like straight ahead brake stabilization?).

Not sure when the next track day will be.. Was considering Thunderhill 5 mile next weekend, but my wife doesn't want me going that far just yet, there's one at Laguna Seca with NCRC on February 21st, so maybe that? Regardless the new goal is under 1:53, which seems like maybe it's possible, if I can do that, maybe see if I can match the time Randy Pobst did in a stock '15 GTI (1:50.11)? we shall see!

Nice write-up! These cars are so impressive for what they are on the street or track. TBH, I never noticed any real intervention to speak of when I tracked my 4Mo wagon and I just use ESC Sport (not off). Maybe it's XDS helping it turn by applying the outside brake? I was able to get my car skidding hard through turns under power.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Nice write-up! These cars are so impressive for what they are on the street or track. TBH, I never noticed any real intervention to speak of when I tracked my 4Mo wagon and I just use ESC Sport (not off). Maybe it's XDS helping it turn by applying the outside brake? I was able to get my car skidding hard through turns under power.

Thanks! Yeah, I was very pleased, felt like I was doing pretty good, though I'm starting to wise maybe I had the power of at least a IS20 swap.

Last time I was at Laguna, I was using ESC Sport, while it maybe was not as intrusive with power if the car stepped out a bit, because ESC sport keeps some traction control active, traction control was cutting some power when trying to power out of corners when I was on curbing, like exiting turn 11 onto the main straight. This time I had traction control off which eliminated that issue, but I guess I need to see if maybe with some programming, I can make some sort of happy medium.. This kind of stuff it what makes me (sort of) miss the old cars I used to mess around with that had none of these systems at all. I had a '74 Super Beetle with KW V1's and a 2.2l Subaru motor, that thing was super fun to slide around.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks! Yeah, I was very pleased, felt like I was doing pretty good, though I'm starting to wise maybe I had the power of at least a IS20 swap.

Last time I was at Laguna, I was using ESC Sport, while it maybe was not as intrusive with power if the car stepped out a bit, because ESC sport keeps some traction control active, traction control was cutting some power when trying to power out of corners when I was on curbing, like exiting turn 11 onto the main straight. This time I had traction control off which eliminated that issue, but I guess I need to see if maybe with some programming, I can make some sort of happy medium.. This kind of stuff it what makes me (sort of) miss the old cars I used to mess around with that had none of these systems at all. I had a '74 Super Beetle with KW V1's and a 2.2l Subaru motor, that thing was super fun to slide around.
Do you have a stick or DSG? The IS20 is great for sure - I ran for a year. I'd say if your'e doing it do the IS38 and be done with it. I'm not really sure there is much you can do here - folks say this and that but to me most of it isn't proven as to what some of these changes actually do/help with. As far I can tell, the ability to turn ESC off is about all you get but maybe muck with the XDS setting (try weak or off).

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Do you have a stick or DSG? The IS20 is great for sure - I ran for a year. I'd say if your'e doing it do the IS38 and be done with it. I'm not really sure there is much you can do here - folks say this and that but to me most of it isn't proven as to what some of these changes actually do/help with. As far I can tell, the ability to turn ESC off is about all you get but maybe muck with the XDS setting (try weak or off).
I've got stick. Considered IS20 etc, but at that point I'm also going to want to do an oil cooler to give myself more cooling headroom, especially on hot summer days at the track, probably an intercooler as well etc etc. With how hooked on track stuff I am, I'm not sure it's worth doing all that to a car that is still my daily driver, and it's probably not a great idea to get to the point I'm going that far with it, probably best saving that money towards a dedicated track car..
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to experiment a bit and see what I can figure out!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've got stick. Considered IS20 etc, but at that point I'm also going to want to do an oil cooler to give myself more cooling headroom, especially on hot summer days at the track, probably an intercooler as well etc etc. With how hooked on track stuff I am, I'm not sure it's worth doing all that to a car that is still my daily driver, and it's probably not a great idea to get to the point I'm going that far with it, probably best saving that money towards a dedicated track car..
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to experiment a bit and see what I can figure out!
Don't underestimate how amazing these are with the IS38 (or 20). A FBO IS38 is an amazing daily driver. Add an oil cooler for the track use for sure if you do it when it's really hot - I've only tracked mine during cooler weather and have no issues with oil temps etc.