GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hill Assist

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I can see that this topic has been discussed in the past and apologize if my questions have already been answered. I find the hill assist feature of my 2019 GTI to be very annoying and would like to disable it. From earlier discussions on this forum, it doesn't look like it's possible to disable it without using some sort of external device (OBDeleven or VCDS). Can someone confirm whether that is correct? If so, is disabling hill assist something that a dealer would be willing to do? Short of having to purchase equipment, can anyone suggest a reasonable way to have it disabled? Thanks.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I don't think you can disable it. You can adjust time. I like it on short time. Put out a request in the local forum for a member to do it. Offer beverage/lunch

Mud

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't think you can disable it. You can adjust time. I like it on short time. Put out a request in the local forum for a member to do it. Offer beverage/lunch

Mud
Do you know the location in VCDS/OBDeleven for this setting? I've been meaning to shorten mine for ages now, but keep forgetting about it haha.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
Do you know the location in VCDS/OBDeleven for this setting? I've been meaning to shorten mine for ages now, but keep forgetting about it haha.
There is a 10 credit app in OBD11 called Hill Start Assist (HSA) with 3 values, early/normal/late

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There is a 10 credit app in OBD11 called Hill Start Assist (HSA) with 3 values, early/normal/late
Thanks! I try to stay away from the apps and would prefer to step through it myself or long code. I think it's under Brakes though, so I'll look for something Hill Start Assist in there.

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
You can completely disable it FYI, through the long coding of the brake module. It’s byte 25, bits 0 and 1. Both of these bits should be cleared to disable it. Then you can roll back all you want 🙂
Thank you! I've been wishing I could turn that thing off for the past five years but didn't think it was possible.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
You can’t change the duration, can you? Two seconds is short, my Mazda would hold it forever.
Not sure about the duration unfortunately. I don’t know if it’s customizable or if it’s hard-coded in the software. Maybe Golfs with the e-parking brake can do hill hold for longer.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Appreciate it. I’m waiting on a Mk8 R. It’s not a big deal, I haven’t really needed it to be longer, just surprised the first time it let go.

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Many thanks for all of the responses to my questions. I'll try to find someone locally that has both the hardware and knowledge to make the change that 2018gti explained. I'd really like to eliminate this annoyance in an otherwise great car.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Many thanks for all of the responses to my questions. I'll try to find someone locally that has both the hardware and knowledge to make the change that 2018gti explained. I'd really like to eliminate this annoyance in an otherwise great car.
👍 If you end up not being able to find someone, I definitely recommend ordering the OBDeleven. It’s a good balance of price/easy to use in my opinion, for quick stuff like this. It’s a great code scanner too.

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Thanks for that recommendation. Assuming I can teach myself to use it effectively, an OBDeleven might pay for itself in diagnosis alone.