GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High pitched electronic whine sound?

amsr

Ready to race!
I have a 2017 GTI SE DSG with 30k miles. I noticed recently that when my cars electronics are on it makes a high pitched whining noise. It sounds like an electronic component whining/buzzing. It’s independent of the engine running. It can be heard even if the ignition is in accessory mode. It’s constant while it’s on and stops immediately when it’s off. Any clues what this could be? It didn’t do this before.

amsr

Ready to race!
They did replace some electronics when troubleshooting my adaptive headlights that kept failing. I think I figured it out though. It only happens when the windshield wipers are enabled. Even if the stalk is parked in the first notch to keep the rain sensor active (but wipers off unless it rains). I’ll try to figure out how to attach a video.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
They did replace some electronics when troubleshooting my adaptive headlights that kept failing. I think I figured it out though. It only happens when the windshield wipers are enabled. Even if the stalk is parked in the first notch to keep the rain sensor active (but wipers off unless it rains). I’ll try to figure out how to attach a video.
Easiest way I found is to post a video on YouTube then link it here.?

amsr

Ready to race!
Ok here is a link. The mic on my phone didn’t pick it up as well as I hoped. But if you turn up the volume you can hear the whine noise come and go when I toggle the wipers on and off. Engine is off in this case.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Faulty relay maybe?? They can be switched from auto to intermittent in the infotainment, Don’t know if the wipers have a relay though or are just CANBUS controlled?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Not a normal sound. You're still under warranty - take it in

plshelpme

Car(s)
2017 vw golf
@ams did you get this fixed or find the exact issue? I have exactly the same problem... hoping it is something I can fix myself... loose wire to the rain sensor or such...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
@ams did you get this fixed or find the exact issue? I have exactly the same problem... hoping it is something I can fix myself... loose wire to the rain sensor or such...
Welcome to the forum. He hasn't been back in the forum for a few months and never gave an update.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Our '17 Golf makes clicks and a brief high-pitched frequency noise with the engine off if I open and close a door, then walk around behind the car. It's done this for nearly 4 years now with no problems. I'm guessing the rear sensors are somehow on line and know that I'm back there.