GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Pitch Noise 2019 GTI SE Manual

IBB123

Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 GTI SE MT
I recently started noticing this high pitch whine coming from what sounds like behind the dash, possibly the engine bay. Its louder with windows up. I typically notice it most when driving at low speeds ( less than 15 MPH) and I hear it very clearly when I bring the car to a stop, then the sound continues for about 5 seconds while the car is sitting still at the light, then just stops, no more noise. Then as soon as I start to move the car forward, the noise reappears. Ive tried to replicate this by revving the car at idle but the noise does not appear. I was trying to listen for odd sounds in the engine bay while the motor was running, and I happened to get back in the car and as soon as I closed the door, the high pitch whine comes back, then goes away about 5 seconds after closing the door. I then got out, closed the door, reopened the door, got in, closed the door and I hear the noise again for about 5-10 seconds, then it goes away. Im pretty stumped what it could be...maybe fuel pump? I know these cars prime the fuel pump when the door is opened, but I wouldn't expect to hear that while the car was already running. The sound does not get louder with speed or acceleration, i typically cant hear it past 15-20MPH. This recently started after taking car in for 30K service. I know they did a brake fluid flush, oil and filter change, but I cant think of any way that service would cause this noise. Any ideas?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It wouldn't be the fuel pump. You only hear that prime right before starting the car. Record audio.

cagti

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s the DCC in the struts. It’s normal and was always there. I had quite an adventure with VW about this a few years ago.

Perhaps, you recently disabled your soundaktor and that is why you hear it now?

IBB123

Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 GTI SE MT
I double checked the soundaktor with VCDS, its set at 0% so the whine isnt the soundaktor acting up. I tried put my ear to the speaker but it doesnt seem like the noise is coming from the speaker

tarheelbob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI S
I double checked the soundaktor with VCDS, its set at 0% so the whine isnt the soundaktor acting up. I tried put my ear to the speaker but it doesnt seem like the noise is coming from the speaker

Just to be clear, @cagti suggested that the sound was the Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) struts making the noise, and that the lack of soundaktor (quieter) may be the reason you are able to hear it. He did not indicate anything may be wrong with the soundaktor.

- Bob