GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Oil temp on track

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I tracked my car yesterday pretty extensively and wanted to see what you guys think about high oil temperatures.

I saw oil temps touch 270F. After doing a cool down lap, the temp quickly returned to normal so I wasn't too concerned, but I wanted to see what insight you guys have regarding high oil temps.

I'm running the factory spec oil, APR stg 1 and doing 20 to 30 minute lapping sessions

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah, you're going to need a real external oil cooler. On my last track car I started paying attention at 260 and didn't let it get over 280....do a cooldown lap or so like you said and then press on.

The alternative is running a thicker oil for track events and change oil more often.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I tracked my car yesterday pretty extensively and wanted to see what you guys think about high oil temperatures.

I saw oil temps touch 270F. After doing a cool down lap, the temp quickly returned to normal so I wasn't too concerned, but I wanted to see what insight you guys have regarding high oil temps.

I'm running the factory spec oil, APR stg 1 and doing 20 to 30 minute lapping sessions
Which track were you at? I’ve never seen my temps higher than 250*, even at “fast” tracks like Willow Springs. FBO is20 running e48.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
What kind of coolant temps were you seeing on track?

Coolant temps never budged from normal. I kept a close eye on that, but the radiator can clearly deal.

I'm just no oil expert. I think I'll just change the oil now and look into oil coolers.

And for the record, with a set of good tires, the car does very well on a road course

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
By " factory spec oil" do you mean the BS 0w20 bean counter stuff, the meh enough to get by most days minimally viable - w30, or the appropriate 0to5w - 40 stuff?

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
After researching an oil thread in the track forum here, I switched to 5w-40 to accommodate the occasional track day (and overall daily driving).

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Coolant temps never budged from normal. I kept a close eye on that, but the radiator can clearly deal.

I'm just no oil expert. I think I'll just change the oil now and look into oil coolers.

And for the record, with a set of good tires, the car does very well on a road course
GLI like your pic? Glad to see people tracking them. I really like them, wish they were out when I got my GTI. If you have the factory oil in there, def change it after your track day, especially with those temps. Peace of mind=priceless.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
GLI like your pic? Glad to see people tracking them. I really like them, wish they were out when I got my GTI. If you have the factory oil in there, def change it after your track day, especially with those temps. Peace of mind=priceless.

Yes, I'm rocking a GLI now.

I still lurk here because this is the best forum with the best knowledge base. The GLI forums don't compare to what's available here.

I'm going to change my oil and upgrade to a better brake fluid for my next track day. I did however get some sticky rubber before this last track day and wow, what a difference good tires make.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Another data point here... I've tracked cars up here and regularly hit oil temps of 300F and they've been fine. And I mean these were track cars, that I only used on the track and I did 12-15 track days a year on them and they were fine every single year. I dynoed them at the beginning of every year and they basically made the same power every single year.

Is an external oil cooler worth it? Well, yeah! However, it's not an OMG!!! Don't drive it with those oil temps!!! If you do add an external oil cooler, you might as well get the one with the biggest core possible and make sure it sits directly in airflow. I think the VWR one is mostly obscured, so that one seems like a waste of money...