GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Oil temp on track

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Another data point here... I've tracked cars up here and regularly hit oil temps of 300F and they've been fine. And I mean these were track cars, that I only used on the track and I did 12-15 track days a year on them and they were fine every single year. I dynoed them at the beginning of every year and they basically made the same power every single year.

Is an external oil cooler worth it? Well, yeah! However, it's not an OMG!!! Don't drive it with those oil temps!!! If you do add an external oil cooler, you might as well get the one with the biggest core possible and make sure it sits directly in airflow. I think the VWR one is mostly obscured, so that one seems like a waste of money...

Not to mention VWR uses a small core.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
shorten your oil change interval every time you do do an HPDE event. I will on run the oil 1000 mi or so, if i have done an event during that time.
A modern synthetic 0 to 5 w 30-40 will survive 270-280 F, more rpm, more combustion, more heat ages the oil quicker.
It's really oil pressure you want monitor, your money would be better spent adding a real oil pressure gauge than installing a oil cooler for the temp range most are seeing at the track with these cars.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Here is my most recent UOA form the end of last season. I run LiquiMoly 5/40 and do multiple track days on the same oil (typically 20-25 sessions). I regularly see 260-270 degrees in the warmer summer months. I do not have an oil cooler, I run an EQT tune. I thought I was going to be changing the oil more often too, but I feel confident continuing my current change regiment (4-6k miles or 5 track days, whichever comes first). I know UOAs aren't the end-all-be-all of understanding an engine's health, but I fell pretty good.
1590502265612.png