GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Hidden' Features/Quirks/Refinements

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I thought it would be cool to share some 'hidden' features and refinements that the majority of people may never notice in our cars. Here's a couple of examples I've found:

Infinity door hinges: You know how when you open most car doors you can feel the different spots in the hinges every few inches where the door will stay in place? On our cars, once you open it past the first ~6 inches the door will stay wherever you leave it after that, instead of swinging forward/backward until it reaches another hinge spot and locking in place

Radio: You don't actually need to turn on the ignition if you just want to listen to the radio. You don't even need the key in the car. Just push the power button on the stereo and it'll start right up. One downside is that it doesn't power the Bluetooth module in this mode, so you'll have to use Android Auto/CarPlay to play music from your phone.

I'm interested in finding out what else I might not be aware of

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Depending on your year and trim, some people (like myself) have a drawer under their driver seat. Seems to be something people that don't know they have it take a while to find on their own.
I believe they discontinued that with the mk7.5's. It took me 2 or 3 months before I found it myself lol

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Infinity door hinges: You know how when you open most car doors you can feel the different spots in the hinges every few inches where the door will stay in place? On our cars, once you open it past the first ~6 inches the door will stay wherever you leave it after that, instead of swinging forward/backward until it reaches another hinge spot and locking in place
I actually don't like this and wish it had more notches to hold the door in place. It's just not stiff enough and one of these days a light breeze is gonna piss me off.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I actually don't like this and wish it had more notches to hold the door in place. It's just not stiff enough and one of these days a light breeze is gonna piss me off.
Lol it gets pretty windy here in Vegas and it's never been a concern for me... Maybe the next time we get some 20+mph gusts I'll test it out in my driveway and report back here

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I had read this before I bought my car. I have crushed my shin more times than I can count. I wish it worked for me.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Safety triangle holder on rear hatch door.
Rear floor in hatch drops down for a little more room for taller items.
Easiest and quickest oil change out of any car I've ever owned.
Area to store an umbrella at the rear of the drivers side door pocket.
Windshield wipers occasionally shift a little up or down, so the blade doesn't take a set and reduce performance of wipers.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Fuel door has a paint-friendly spot to hang your filler cap when fueling up.

2021-03-02 001 VW Gas Cap Holder.jpg