GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Replacement (FRUSTRATING)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's also like a 2 minute install, I wouldn't wait for the weekend.

5am start today, here doing the whole aircraft mechanic thing till 11pm so we’ll see lol

I’ll probably do a video on them (before & after) & throw the new license plate bulbs in too (error code, not a actual bulb out).

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
LED bulbs technology in HID or reflector headlights is not up to par at this moment. There are plenty of testing done by TRS and Diode Dynamics to name a few that sell this kits that prove it. The hot spot the lights create is subpar when compared with HID or halogen. Yes they seem brighter, like when you put HIDs into reflectors... but all that light is not going anywhere. All you end up is with a crap load of light in front of your car, as if you had super bright fog lights and nothing down the road.

@GTI Jake if that driver side bulb is a 5500k, it is on the way out as well. They get "bluer and dimmer" as they start to die. That one looks like a 6000k, or you took the picture right at the cut-off, so the blue is the color band.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
LED bulbs technology in HID or reflector headlights is not up to par at this moment. There are plenty of testing done by TRS and Diode Dynamics to name a few that sell this kits that prove it. The hot spot the lights create is subpar when compared with HID or halogen. Yes they seem brighter, like when you put HIDs into reflectors... but all that light is not going anywhere. All you end up is with a crap load of light in front of your car, as if you had super bright fog lights and nothing down the road.

@GTI Jake if that driver side bulb is a 5500k, it is on the way out as well. They get "bluer and dimmer" as they start to die. That one looks like a 6000k, or you took the picture right at the cut-off, so the blue is the color band.

As soon as the lift is free’d up I’ll be swapping it out. I just dread doing anything on a pair of 1970s jack stands if I can avoid it

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Drivers side low beam bulb burned out today. So I guess the life span was pretty spot on for both.

Luckily, we’re planning on dragging the LS swap project outside to paint the engine bay tomorrow morning, so my car can slide into the shop to pull the bumper & swap bulbs.

If there’s time I might do my PCV valve and throw the OEM GLI wheels on (so my wheels can go to powder coat.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The only Chinese junk on the whole car being unreliable did have me considering going back to OEM

-Note: these particular junk housings are Korean, but the HID are ChynUh
I haven't had to replace one on my MK7 yet, but I replaced the ones on my MKV with Philips D2S and had good luck with them. Not sure if it's the same bulb or available for this generation though (because I'm too lazy on this Monday morning to check haha).

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I haven't had to replace one on my MK7 yet, but I replaced the ones on my MKV with Philips D2S and had good luck with them. Not sure if it's the same bulb or available for this generation though (because I'm too lazy on this Monday morning to check haha).

As it turns out, much like other VW systems, it fixed itself lol.

I’m just digging on myself for using a cheap shitty set of headlights/HID. In hindsight seven years ago I should’ve sprung the $1,200 for OEM LP when I bought the car new.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

I’m just digging on myself for using a cheap shitty set of headlights/HID. In hindsight seven years ago I should’ve sprung the $1,200 for OEM LP when I bought the car new.
Then you'd just be dealing with a different set of random errors that self resolve.
#askmehowiknow

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Ah, got it. I missed the part about aftermarket lighting. I have LP now and had the equivalent on my MKV as well.