GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Replacement (FRUSTRATING)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The 7.5R reps for Mk7? You might have just made my day.

View attachment 258422

I was under the impression these have H7, but could absolutely have bad information (I’ve got zero experience with HIDs outside of slapping these on a few years ago and the bulbs were already factory installed).

View attachment 258423

These pictures are from a quick plug change last night and as you can see if I have to pull the bumper just to check bulbs it’s gonna take some extra shuffling stuff around to have room.
Not to go off topic here but DAMN, that is some serious deep dish on the wheels on the car above yours!

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I found an old email from Ed where he told me “D2H or D2S fits best”. I had the 2014.5-17 Mk7 Golf HID Headlights, 2018 R Style before I got the Osrams.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
My Saab had bixenons but used H7 for highs. I coded it so you could open the shutter and run the highs at the same time. It was glorious. Like looking into the sun.

https://flic.kr/p/2hjZTZu
The benefit of ROW vehicles. Saab HID system was awesome by 2003, they had auto/manual leveling headlights, low and high where HID and push to pass was halogen in some vehicles. Talk about sun light... my SX4 had Infinity FX45 HID projectors, with mini Blazer fog lights with HIG and Hella F500 driving lights with 35w with 3000k HID.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/showoff/projector-retrofits/37633-suzuki-sx4

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not to go off topic here but DAMN, that is some serious deep dish on the wheels on the car above yours!

Yeah it’s THICC
E25662CB-CB5E-437C-8ED1-27DE54E06BCD.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
6ADBC40C-1907-402F-A86F-C194142F55CA.png

Thanks everyone who chimed in (not BMP, they never bothered to call back). My Ed’s headlights were purchased through them, but they drop shipped directly from Samsung in Korea where they were manufactured (customs paperwork said declared value was like $35).

Only $500 mark up, so that’s cool.

Meanwhile people cry about my pricing with zero mark up making less than my hourly rate from my real job 😒. Edit: to be clear none of my customers have ever said anything about the pricing, but man do I get some tire kickers telling me how to do it.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
View attachment 258439

Thanks everyone who chimed in (not BMP, they never bothered to call back). My Ed’s headlights were purchased through them, but they drop shipped directly from Samsung in Korea where they were manufactured (customs paperwork said declared value was like $35).

Only $500 mark up, so that’s cool.

Meanwhile people cry about my pricing with zero mark up making less than my hourly rate from my real job 😒. Edit: to be clear none of my customers have ever said anything about the pricing, but man do I get some tire kickers telling me how to do it.
Let us know how those bulbs work out, I'd like to nab a set to have on hand just in case. Mine are for mk7.5, but either way I'd like to know how those bulbs work out/look before buying a set.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Let us know how those bulbs work out, I'd like to nab a set to have on hand just in case. Mine are for mk7.5, but either way I'd like to know how those bulbs work out/look before buying a set.

Absolutely. I was surprised I couldn’t find information on this for as popular as those lights are

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Absolutely. I was surprised I couldn’t find information on this for as popular as those lights are
I'm guessing most people "part out" or sell the car before the bulbs burn out. High quality HID bulbs can last a very long time. I got 160k miles out of the ones in my MK5 and have yet to need to change any of my other ones on any car.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
@GTI Jake have you tried DEautokey leds? I’m running those on my stock MK7 housing and they are good. Lifetime warranty on the bulbs

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
@GTI Jake have you tried DEautokey leds? I’m running those on my stock MK7 housing and they are good. Lifetime warranty on the bulbs

Nope, I had a deer incident that led to getting these headlights with the HID already installed and they lasted till last week.

I talked to DeAutokey this week, and actually just received warranty license plate bulbs and new “stage 3 trunk LED” tonight I’ll be installing over the weekend.

Didn’t want to spend $150 when all I needed was bulbs, and it turns out I already had spares laying around the shop (of course, found them after installing the new ones).

B1176562-0425-40FD-9B44-05673AC9FA3C.jpeg

Speaking of new ones, they arrived in less than 24 hours from the time I ordered ($13 FedEx well spent I guess).

8F22386D-8EB7-4BA4-BD18-742BD190B54F.jpeg

The passenger side HID was out, so that’s all we swapped for now. My sons tiny hands are still no match for the cramped space on the drivers side.

5000k <<<< >>>>5500k

….idc for now till the shop is free’d up, just didn’t wanna get pulled over or worse end up with both low beams INOP.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Nope, I had a deer incident that led to getting these headlights with the HID already installed and they lasted till last week.

I talked to DeAutokey this week, and actually just received warranty license plate bulbs and new “stage 3 trunk LED” tonight I’ll be installing over the weekend.

Didn’t want to spend $150 when all I needed was bulbs, and it turns out I already had spares laying around the shop (of course, found them after installing the new ones).

View attachment 258557

Speaking of new ones, they arrived in less than 24 hours from the time I ordered ($13 FedEx well spent I guess).

View attachment 258558

The passenger side HID was out, so that’s all we swapped for now. My sons tiny hands are still no match for the cramped space on the drivers side.

5000k <<<< >>>>5500k

….idc for now till the shop is free’d up, just didn’t wanna get pulled over or worse end up with both low beams INOP.
The "stage 3 trunk LED" is great. You won't be disappointed.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
That stage 3 trunk light looks tempting 😆