GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Replacement (FRUSTRATING)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m stressed beyond belief on this one. To the point where my wife just asked why I’m not out in the shop working (need to order some damn bulbs).

So way back several years I purchased Ed’s 7.5R replica headlights to replace my halogens, purely because I smoked a deer and wasn’t paying for a ugly reflector housing.

Anyway, fast forward to now and I’ve got a low beam bulb out (which you’d think would be no big deal).

Ed’s is out of business…doesn’t reply.

So far I’ve been able to find absolutely zero reputable websites/brick and mortar shops selling HID (apparently they’re illegal?). Amazon has a bunch of junk for $14-16 a pair with a laundry list of reviews stating the bulbs last hours or days with a good chance of burning the car to the ground (sweet). Outside of that the websites google bring up all seem to have the same 17 page terms of service BS they want you to agree to (which is sketchy that the only ones coming up are the same exact companies operating under different names selling all the same stuff).

So does anyone have experience buying just replacement bulbs without losing a car or suffering identity theft in the process?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Do you know what specs you need? Bulb size? It's been a while since I had to buy a replacement HID bulb, but I've never had trouble in the past, that's crazy. I have the factory LP, but now I want to do some googling.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Which HID you have? Because there are a lot of cars that have them, so all you need to know is the bulb ID. ie.. D1S, D2S, D3S, D4S... or if they just use a generic conversion kit with the same ID as the OEM bulbs like the H4, H11, 9006, 9007, etc...

If it is an OEM, DxS you can go to an auto parts store and request it like that. if it is a halohen conversion, online. I buy Morimoto from The Retrofit Source. If they don't have it in the website, give them a call and they will locate it for you, at least they used to a while ago.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
These are the two with seemingly identical mile long terms of service.

Probably safe if you guys used them and didn’t inadvertently buy $69,000 worth of boner CBD gummies right?
DE5E27D0-48BD-4D53-A9E2-498F2BCF2FF5.png
F6CE2EA9-9617-45A6-8273-A659C49EC3A1.png

Everything I’ve found including deautokey points to my bulbs being H7, but who knows since I haven’t pulled the headlights out of the car to personally check (ain’t no way my big ass hands are reaching the bulbs in the Ed’s housing installed in the car).

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Everything I’ve found including deautokey points to my bulbs being H7, but who knows since I haven’t pulled the headlights out of the car to personally check (ain’t no way my big ass hands are reaching the bulbs in the Ed’s housing installed in the car).
Pretty sure H7 is the original halogen size, not the HID bulb size in your Ed's

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Bookmarked! I'm sure I'll run into this eventually.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Pretty sure H7 is the original halogen size, not the HID bulb size in your Ed's
This sounds right. I think the inner unicorn urine* lights in my MKV were H7 and definitely halogen.

Yup, confirmed in my order history haha
1660743637086.png

Not that it helps, but the HID in the MKV were D2S and this worked well for me
1660743681972.png

*Unicorn urine
1660743773699.png

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Called BMP who I purchased these from. Left a voicemail so we’ll see who their customer support stacks up.

Really don’t wanna rip my daily apart for no reason if I can help it. I’ve got way too much shit to do on everyone else’s stuff to waste time on mine