GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Replacement (FRUSTRATING)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Jake......again.....I've used retrofit source for multiple cars (WRX/V90/GLI and Ford Edge). Definitely reach out to them.

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
I have the same Ed's headlights before they switched over to the sealed led version and then went out of business. I use D2H bulbs from deauto without issue, lifetime warranty (which I've used once already).

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have the same Ed's headlights before they switched over to the sealed led version and then went out of business. I use D2H bulbs from deauto without issue, lifetime warranty (which I've used once already).

The 7.5R reps for Mk7? You might have just made my day.
According with this first post, they are H7's. So not truly an HID housing, but a retrofitted HID system into a halogen housing. TRS have replacement bulbs for that.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/led-lights-in-bec-headlights-eds-reps.367584/

I have been doing retrofits on and off since 2011, TRS had the best customer service out there, and were one of the first, if not the first company selling Morimoto's.
76E62E5D-3C79-41C0-A8C7-4FCE4CB3EBFD.jpeg

I was under the impression these have H7, but could absolutely have bad information (I’ve got zero experience with HIDs outside of slapping these on a few years ago and the bulbs were already factory installed).

869F8453-5BEE-4694-A403-EC1CDEAD6A25.jpeg

These pictures are from a quick plug change last night and as you can see if I have to pull the bumper just to check bulbs it’s gonna take some extra shuffling stuff around to have room.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
So, while D2H fit the H7 socket, the alignment of the element is not the same. Order H7 bulbs if that is what the housing was made for. D2H is the same as D2S but with APM connectors instead of OEM socket connector. D2H can be used, but depending on the alignment of the projector you may end up with reduced light output, not because of the HID not lighting up, but because the focus point of the bowl will be slightly off.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Who replaces halogen headlights with aftermarket headlights that use halogen bulbs? What's the point of that? There's no way it had H7s in it (maybe as high beams?), otherwise what a huge fucking waste of money.
They probably use adapter rings?
1660755211895.png

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Who replaces halogen headlights with aftermarket headlights that use halogen bulbs? What's the point of that? There's no way it had H7s in it (maybe as high beams?), otherwise what a huge fucking waste of money.
Believe it or not, 90% of the cheap Chinese projector headlights that made the market here were halogen based. Hell, before 2010, almost all US made cars had halogen based projectors. And the first generation of HID projectors in GM cars sucks ass. The bowl usually end up getting burnt within 3 years of use.

All the Spyder brand headlights are either H7 or H11 halogen based. The easiest way to tell is if the ballast is incorporated and it uses a socket instead of AMP connectors. If the bulb has AMP, the headlight IS a halogen unit. The Spyder unit I bought for my GTO had a warning in housing that stated not got HID use, LOL.

I thought I had a picture of it, but I don't. Here is the thread in HIDPlanet.

D2S Socket (Red) and AMP connectors
1660755919459.png

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Believe it or not, 90% of the cheap Chinese projector headlights that made the market here were halogen based. Hell, before 2010, almost all US made cars had halogen based projectors. And the first generation of HID projectors in GM cars sucks ass. The bowl usually end up getting burnt within 3 years of use.

All the Spyder brand headlights are either H7 or H11 halogen based. The easiest way to tell is if the ballast is incorporated and it uses a socket instead of AMP connectors. If the bulb has AMP, the headlight IS a halogen unit. The Spyder unit I bought for my GTO had a warning in housing that stated not got HID use, LOL.

I thought I had a picture of it, but I don't. Here is the thread in HIDPlanet.

D2S Socket (Red) and AMP connectors
Interesting. Good to know my 06 MKV GTI projectors were legit with their D2S bulbs. The flash-to-pass lights on that car were H7 though.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Interesting. Good to know my 06 MKV GTI projectors were legit with their D2S bulbs. The flash-to-pass lights on that car were H7 though.
Yes, a lot of cars, including high end used HID in their low beam, and halogen in the high. The European market has used true HID lights for a long time. I thought the 2007 GTI was the first one with with HID from the factory. The R32 had HID since 2004.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yes, a lot of cars, including high end used HID in their low beam, and halogen in the high. The European market has used true HID lights for a long time. I thought the 2007 GTI was the first one with with HID from the factory. The R32 had HID since 2004.
I actually think that my 06 was both low and high beam on the HID side. It just used a shutter to limit the light. I seem to recall having to code the H7 Flash-to-pass bulbs to come on with my high beams.