GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hey guys new to the scene

Degenerate

Car(s)
2015 Gti 2020 xsport
Just bout my 2015 m7 last month. It came with a a muffler delete. I added the bad ass afe intake I forgot what it’s called. My question is why Am pulling so hard on cars like a Mazda speed 3.

I’m wondering if I even need a tune or maybe it’s been tuned already. I’m told it hasn’t.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
you don't need a tune, and who said it wasn't tuned? If it was a salesman I would take that with a grain (or three) of salt.

Mud

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
You won't beat a stock MS3 if you're stock GTI. Those things do like high 13s stock 1/4 or low 14s. I forget but they were a worthy challenger of the srt4 back in early 2000s. No matter what year your GTI is, it would need to be tuned.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
To test if it's tuned-next time you can do some pulls put the screen on the sport guages with boost pressure, the car doesn't subtract atmospheric pressure so if you see boost getting up past 40psi then that means you're running extra boost and are indeed tuned

As far as the ms3 goes, their older and heavier with more turbo lag and torque steer. If you have DSG it's even easier to pull away from them (but less fun, of course)

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
As far as the ms3 goes, their older and heavier with more turbo lag and torque steer. If you have DSG it's even easier to pull away from them (but less fun, of course)

It's about a 20lb difference. Negligible.

They have shorter gearing, especially in 1st and 2nd, and the DISI does not rev as high, but they do not suffer from turbo lag anymore than the GTI does. If the GTI is DSG (the MS3 only came as 6MT) then that would be a big difference. The stock K04, tuned or not, winds up just fine.

Torque steer has nothing to do with it. A decent set of tires puts the power down fine. Again, if it was stock. The only people that complained about torque steer in the MS3 were the magazine editors and old people. Those things are a hoot to drive. They are old(er) now though, and DI, a high mileage example with plenty of carbon buildup would not run as well as a well-kept example.

OP - you've asked this question twice in two different places. There are not that many MS3's out there to run so if you're talking about a specific one maybe you should ask the guy.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
One thing I don't understand too well and perhaps it's just the fanboi's of VW. How come if you're not getting great 1/4 times or winning races, it's because you own a MT and not DSG? How come if I owned an SRT4 or MS3 in manual, it runs 1/4 faster than a stock DSG GTI? Are we saying that VW just can't make a good MT? Clearly the issue isn't truly MT in general is bad vs DSG, but maybe it's just bad in VWs?

I know I know, DSG shifts faster than a MT does and that's why it's better in a GTI. Yet, plenty of other manual cars are fast in their own right as a MT, so what gives?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Not sure if directed at me, but I owned an MS3 for 8 years before buying my GTI. Both are/were 6MT. That's why I felt I could speak to both.

With manual trans, shifting is inherently slower and there is room for driver error. DSG's don't tend to miss shifts. My note about gearing is true as well, I'm still getting used to the taller gears in the GTI. 1st and 2nd in the MS3 were just really short which means more early shifts in a drag race scenario.

That doesn't mean the MS3 is slower because it is 6MT, I think it was faster in stock form vs GTI's in stock form regardless of transmission. I think numbers back that up. But none of us know the specifics of this particular situation and the OP has not responded to either thread so it's possible we're just being taken for a ride.

I also think the "problems" with the GTI are overblown in enthusiast environments like this. Just like "problems" with the MS3 continue to be perpetuated (re: torque steer).

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Not sure if directed at me, but I owned an MS3 for 8 years before buying my GTI. Both are/were 6MT. That's why I felt I could speak to both.

With manual trans, shifting is inherently slower and there is room for driver error. DSG's don't tend to miss shifts. My note about gearing is true as well, I'm still getting used to the taller gears in the GTI. 1st and 2nd in the MS3 were just really short which means more early shifts in a drag race scenario.

That doesn't mean the MS3 is slower because it is 6MT, I think it was faster in stock form vs GTI's in stock form regardless of transmission. I think numbers back that up. But none of us know the specifics of this particular situation and the OP has not responded to either thread so it's possible we're just being taken for a ride.

I also think the "problems" with the GTI are overblown in enthusiast environments like this. Just like "problems" with the MS3 continue to be perpetuated (re: torque steer).

Well that's my thing. I mean, are we saying that you can compensate for a crappy MT by throwing more power at it or are we saying that if MT is done wrong in one car vs the other car, if they have the same power figures, how come 1 is so much more inferior than the other? Even if we remove DSG from the equation on this thought.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Well that's my thing. I mean, are we saying that you can compensate for a crappy MT by throwing more power at it or are we saying that if MT is done wrong in one car vs the other car, if they have the same power figures, how come 1 is so much more inferior than the other? Even if we remove DSG from the equation on this thought.

To be clear on my stance....the MS3 is faster in stock form regardless of which trans the GTI is working with. Assuming it is stock.

Now, I don't think either of these MTs are bad. But one motor revs higher and one MT has taller gears. And they are in the same car. Those things matter if you're racing to 100. That said, the other car is still faster (apples to apples) because it makes more power in stock form and they are essentially the same weight.

The clutch in the MS3 was more durable though, since we're on the subject of transmissions. An upgrade was not a requirement for modding like it seems to be on the GTI. I ran 340wtq through my stocker for 6 years. As far as GTI options, advantage goes to the DSG in that respect.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
It's about a 20lb difference. Negligible.

They have shorter gearing, especially in 1st and 2nd, and the DISI does not rev as high, but they do not suffer from turbo lag anymore than the GTI does. If the GTI is DSG (the MS3 only came as 6MT) then that would be a big difference. The stock K04, tuned or not, winds up just fine.

Torque steer has nothing to do with it. A decent set of tires puts the power down fine. Again, if it was stock. The only people that complained about torque steer in the MS3 were the magazine editors and old people. Those things are a hoot to drive. They are old(er) now though, and DI, a high mileage example with plenty of carbon buildup would not run as well as a well-kept example.

OP - you've asked this question twice in two different places. There are not that many MS3's out there to run so if you're talking about a specific one maybe you should ask the guy.
From what I'm seeing the ms3 is nearly 3,300 and gti is 3k-3100. Maybe the earlier ms3's weighed a bit less

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner