GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Here it is...VW Golf R MK7 Revealed!

Vancity2Constantinople

2.Sloooo n loww
Car(s)
2010 Golf 2.5L Sport
Im well aware of the tuning for VWs. Your Golf R hosts an old FSI engine with major waterpump issues.

The TSI responds much greater to tuning and my friend has a stage 2+ GTI (FMI+TCB), with stock clutch still going strong, he said it does slip with 94 OCT WOT,when it's during winter.

Im not scared of "vw" trying to make it harder to tune their piece of crap bosch ECUs.. it's nothing. Bench tuning is so easy, its 2013 man.

This new turbo has higher boost. You should read up on some information of the S3. It's the samething, and has been released for along time now. like 1 year ;)

221 KW @ 5500 RPM
300 HP @ 5500 RPM
296 BHP @ 5500 RPMTORQUE 280 lb-ft @ 1800-5500 RPM
380 Nm @ 1800-5500 RPM

Last edited:

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Im well aware of the tuning for VWs. Your Golf R hosts an old FSI engine with major waterpump issues.

The TSI responds much greater to tuning and my friend has a stage 2+ GTI (FMI+TCB), with stock clutch still going strong, he said it does slip with 94 OCT WOT,when it's during winter.

Im not scared of "vw" trying to make it harder to tune their piece of crap bosch ECUs.. it's nothing. Bench tuning is so easy, its 2013 man.

This new turbo has higher boost. You should read up on some information of the S3. It's the samething, and has been released for along time now. like 1 year ;)

221 KW @ 5500 RPM
300 HP @ 5500 RPM
296 BHP @ 5500 RPMTORQUE 280 lb-ft @ 1800-5500 RPM
380 Nm @ 1800-5500 RPM

I've been running a tuned Golf R for 3 years now and have yet to see any issues with my water pump, or any other engine component as a matter of fact. Of course there has been some WP failures of FSI engines around the world, just as there has been some serious oil consumption problems and ignition coils being cooked on TSI engines as well (my sister drives an MK6 GTI...... she's married before anyone plays cute ;)), but all this is quite normal; no engine is perfect, and even the new MK7 R engine is likely to have its issues.

If you are well versed in VW tuning, you must know that the EA113 FSI is the most tuned and tunable VW engine in history. So I do not agree with you that the TSI "responds much greater to tuning"; it's quite the opposite actually, and even VW Group itself thinks so:

There's a very good reason why before 2013 VW GROUP has never featured a KO4 turbo on the "TSI" (EA888) which only came with the smaller KO3 and smaller-er IHI.... Systematically, VAG have fitted their entry sport models (VW GTI, AUDI A3, SEAT LEON FR etc...) with the "TSI" EA888 engine, while using the "older" FSI engine for all their upgraded top of the line more powerful models, mated with a larger KO4 turbo (VW GTI ED35, R, AUDI S3, TTS, SEAT LEON CUPRA, CUPRA R...).

VW has itself performed tuning on the FSI by spending millions in R&D to install it on the more powerful models, and not a single penny on the previous TSI. For reference they have installed on the FSI stronger and reinforced pistons, gudgeon pins, rings, connecting rods, bearings, cylinder block, as well as new lightweight aluminum-silicon alloy cylinder head for high temperature resistance and strength, adjusted exhaust camshaft timing, and increased cross-section high-pressure injectors. I highly doubt that VW group would tune and use the engine that responds less to tuning and ignore the one that responds more, don’t you?
The previous EA888 TSI is a more modern, lighter, cleaner and more efficient engine compared to the EA113 FSI, but as far as tuning is concerned it is the FSI that responds much better to tuning and NOT the TSI, fact.

That said, I know (a lot) about the S3, I've seen it in the flesh during my last trip to France, and have been following on its development long before its launch....
It uses a new TSI engine, which seems promising cause it replaces the reinforced FSI so far found on the top of the line models, so it must be good.
You did not get my point; I am not saying that the new MK7 R is not "powerful" or comes with reliability issues (that's too early to tell anyway). 296bhp and 380Nm (as low as 1800rpms) for a stock golf is indeed very good! If you own an MK6 GTI or an MK5 R32 (or even an MK6 R that's kept stock because you're not into tuning) the MK7 R is a no brainer upgrade no matter how you look at it.

BUT, people like me, who own a reliably and well-tuned Golf R running without any issues, will not jump in excitement to upgrade to the MK7 R before knowing how much you can actually reliably tune it... simply because with minimal bolt-ons our "older" cars are already more powerful than the new comer.
Take me for instance, I currently run around 340+ bhp and 450+ Nm; put me in the new MK7 R, I will find it nice, refined, sporty, smelling new no doubt, but it will be definitely slower than my "old" car. So of course I am going to want to tune it. Let's say I flash the MK7 R (bench or OBD doesn't matter, I agree), I'll end up at what? 340bhp +/- at best? That's not yet an upgrade for me. SO I will want to tune it further to start increasing on the power I already had in my old car in the first place… IF I CAN’T DO THAT then I would have wasted my money on the new R…. that’s what I am saying.
Bear in mind that I am only at stage2+ level, many Golf Rs have been putting down close to 400bhp, with a simple plug and play LOBA LO400 turbo swap without any issues or even having to upgrade engine internals. I am not going to mention the stage3 Rs with GT30 and above turbo upgrades.

So bottom line, for me or anyone in my situation looking to upgrade not only body style but power and drivability, if the MK7 R can easily and reliably be upgraded beyond the stage 1 tune and weighs noticeably less than the MK6 R it’s definitely a good upgrade over the MK6 R and I’ll seriously consider it… otherwise I’ll have to go for a much less compromised 355bhp A45 AMG or an RS model - though I am not particularly a fan of the 2.5 engine.

At the moment, you and me alike do not know how much the new engine can be upgraded or how “well it responds to tuning” as you put it, all we know is that it has less power than the previous R at its mildest of tunes and that it has different peripherals that have never been tuned before (it uses new piston cooling nozzles and completely new exhaust manifold structure for ex). For many it is completely irrelevant, as they don’t tune their cars, and to all those the MK7 R must without any doubt be the better car. But this is a definite and determinant consideration for anyone who has a modded MK 6 R. Let’s cross fingers and wait…

Last edited:

gtiw7

Ready to race!
I am only at stage2+ level

I'm not gonna comment on your car being better than a stock MK7 R.....that's a thing time will comment on ;)

but seriously! since when stage 2+ is "ONLY stage 2+" LOL that's a lot of money invested in the car you don't simply say only stage 2+ as if it was a mere flash or a panel filter! :p

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I'm not gonna comment on your car being better than a stock MK7 R.....that's a thing time will comment on ;)

but seriously! since when stage 2+ is "ONLY stage 2+" LOL that's a lot of money invested in the car you don't simply say only stage 2+ as if it was a mere flash or a panel filter! :p

"Better" is a big word my friend... Made no such claims, just sticking to power.

When i say "only" i'm not referring to the financial aspect; (anyway we still dont know how much the 7 will cost) By "only" I meant that there is still beyond that a good chunk of power which you can safely extract from the engine. From a pure tuning perspective, stage2+ is only an entry level, with basic bolt ons without touching engine internals or compression ratio or even ur turbocharger, serious tuners (ams, ur etc...) dont even consider it as tuned. Take a dowpipe, a panel filter, upgrade ur hpfp, a flash and voila stage2+ R.
Of course u can install additional parts but this is not required.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Love this new design. Not very fond of these wheels. Hopefully the set that been seen on the track cars is an option too!

Vancity2Constantinople

2.Sloooo n loww
Car(s)
2010 Golf 2.5L Sport
Sure; your car had no issues but I read too many problems with other's cars. maybe you got lucky, so thats good!
I do like the k04 gti's running nicely so far with the mk6s.
Well, only time will tell. we shall see!

Teff's car blew up. Hopefully your's doesn't.

:p

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Sure; your car had no issues but I read too many problems with other's cars. maybe you got lucky, so thats good!
I do like the k04 gti's running nicely so far with the mk6s.
Well, only time will tell. we shall see!

Teff's car blew up. Hopefully your's doesn't.

:p

Yeah poor TEFF :(... his car did blow up but that was because of some m*** f**** not clamping a fuel line correctly :mad:, any other car would've blown, its not specific to the R.
Anyway you can't compare mine to his, he was like stage 10++ lol I barely have an exhaust hpfp and a panel filter, if this is enough for a car to blow up well we're better off on foot! :p

Last edited:

F1fletch1

Anyone knows how much that toy weighs?[/QUOTE]

I read it somewhere in the press info and now I cannot find it, i believe it was close to 3150 as the mk7 is supposedly 200lbs lighter that mk6 (due to new chassis). If indeed we are close to 3200 lbs AND considering good tuneability for 350+ this is going to be an enormous platform for guys like myself who love tuning but prefer a more mature looking car, understated but HOT.

By the time we get to see one or buy one over here it will probably be a year or more down the road and we should know more about its potential by then. I am hoping stage 2 will be possible. 4.9 zero to 60 if true is a serious start in the right direction, my 335is does 0-60 in 4.6 as tested by R&T and it is one fast car but l miss the days of easier/cheaper tuning and better gas mileage.

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I believe it was close to 3150 as the mk7 is supposedly 200lbs lighter that mk6 (due to new chassis).

Isn't it more like 200kgs rather than pounds?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Oh well, guess the sales blurb was wrong then.

Oh and that'll be 220lbs ;)

The wasp

Ready to race!
Oh well, guess the sales blurb was wrong then.

Oh and that'll be 220lbs ;)

No the sales blurb is right........it says about 100kgs was saved on weight. It could have been a shirty sales chap telling you fibs, or you could just have miss heard/read the bumph. ;)

Last edited:

F1fletch1

Yes, well 220lbs is no joke along with a nice increase in power. The Evo's and STI's will no longer rule their segment :)

This car is very high on my list for 2016 along with the uprated FRS/BRZ

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Yes, well 220lbs is no joke along with a nice increase in power. The Evo's and STI's will no longer rule their segment :)

This car is very high on my list for 2016 along with the uprated FRS/BRZ

According to magazine sources and data we have on the 7 GTI which has been around here for some time I must say, they saved "up to" 60Kg (133lbs)... so I highly doubt there's a 200lbs saving for the R ... It's more likely to be in the 130ish lbs, .... even so we should all b very happy about it.