GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with purchasing another GTD

baz_doc

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

I’d after a 7.5 GTD. Just wondered what issues to look out for and what extras are best to look out for when purchasing one? I head the discovery pro media is good but everyone I’ve looked at so far has not had it :(

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
I avoided the discovery pro because I wanted knobs!

Pick the best car you can find (mileage, condition, history) and then try to be flexible with everything else!

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
If you want to use Google Maps, you'd need to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay, which it works with (all mk7.5s have that). However if you do that, you can't have the map in between the dials, just on the centre screen.

I like the built-in Navigation system, but its definitely more hassle. You need to update the map manually (new maps every 6 months) and you need an activated data connection for it to get traffic updates etc. But if you go to the bother, you then get integrated navigation between the centre screen and the active dash display.

Hope that makes sense.

baz_doc

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there a price to updating the maps? I’ve heard this can be done for free?

Activated data connection, do you mean use the data from my phone?

So if I use standard nav I can see it on my active dash?

thanks for your help mate

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
Updating the maps is free. But when you're looking at used cars, open the glovebox and check there is a genuine VW SD card in there otherwise you'll need to buy one. Here's the webpage to download the maps from. Its very easy. Volkswagen Map Updates

Yes you can use a hotspot from your phone, or what I've done to make it easier is that I have a USB 4G stick in the boot's 12V socket, so it always connects to the internet automatically without me having to mess about with my phone each time. Car-net also gives you neat stuff like showing you the cheapest local petrol, nearby parking with spaces, weather and news, as well as the traffic updates. Takes a bit of time to set it up to start with but for me it was worth it. When the car runs low on fuel it actually offers to get you to the nearest cheap petrol.

Other people just ignore all the built in stuff and use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate