GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with odd noise underhood

bcgti

Ready to race!
Hello all,

Stock 2016 R dsg with low miles. There's a loud sound when first building boost that sounds like a creaking door or a horn noise (heard from inside and outside) - it goes away once your well into boost. It's not speed or rpm dependent but doesn't happen when the car is cold. I have an OBDeleven and there's no pending faults - car does feel normal. The sound will be different if you're slower to push the gas than if you floor it - flooring it will increase the pitch of the sound - 'lingering' the gas under early load will sustain the sound.

My first thought was I sucked up something into the air box but it's clear. My other thought is it's turbo and/or throttle plate related but I'm not getting any faults. It's under warranty still so I'll take it in but was curious if anyone has come across this.

I'll update the thread as I find out more next week - thanks for any input!

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Hello all,

Stock 2016 R dsg with low miles. There's a loud sound when first building boost that sounds like a creaking door or a horn noise (heard from inside and outside) - it goes away once your well into boost. It's not speed or rpm dependent but doesn't happen when the car is cold. I have an OBDeleven and there's no pending faults - car does feel normal. The sound will be different if you're slower to push the gas than if you floor it - flooring it will increase the pitch of the sound - 'lingering' the gas under early load will sustain the sound.

My first thought was I sucked up something into the air box but it's clear. My other thought is it's turbo and/or throttle plate related but I'm not getting any faults. It's under warranty still so I'll take it in but was curious if anyone has come across this.

Post a video of the sound please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,

Sounds like you are probably in warranty. Take it to the dealer and get a beer while they sort it out.

bcgti

Ready to race!
I got a pretty low-end cellphone and the video quality is crap. I'll try to post up a link for the sound.

bcgti

Ready to race!
No video or sound clip unfortunately but thought I would update to close this out. Hopefully it helps someone in the future.

Issue was a throttle body gasket that was improperly installed during warranty work (thermostat related) before I bought it which resulted in a slight boost leak. Sounds like the gasket was folded over on itself creating the leak.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No video or sound clip unfortunately but thought I would update to close this out. Hopefully it helps someone in the future.

Issue was a throttle body gasket that was improperly installed during warranty work (thermostat related) before I bought it which resulted in a slight boost leak. Sounds like the gasket was folded over on itself creating the leak.

An awful lot of dealers are doing shoddy work from reading the forum posts.