GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help, spark plug tip broke inside cylinder.

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
I need some help, last week I got a CEL P0303 misfire, first thought check the spark plugs. I took it out and the tip was broken, it's inside the engine? I replaced all 4 plugs I tried to get the broken tip out with a magnet but no go Now the car makes this weird sound, youtube link below. I rented a borescope from autozone but I don't see anything inside, and did compression test all cylinders were about 150-160. Am I screwed or what do I do next?

https://youtube.com/shorts/1TgDpLs2MgA?feature=share

Attachments

• 20210417_101912.jpg
    20210417_101912.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 648

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
There you go, kinda hard to do it with one hand holding the phone lol I hope it's good,

I have a hard time making out anything on that borescope video, but the noise in the first video is what is really concerning.

The broken stap probably got mangled and might have made a mess on its way out.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My $20 amazon jobby takes way better vids. Try and get something with a better picture. The noise is concerning for sure and that cylinder looks a mess too. Doubtful the tip could have been ejected and not hit a turbine blade. Pop the DP off, are they all still there? If you have a catted DP then it for sure couldn't have made it past there so a boroscope can see into there too. Find the tip.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The frequency of that "knock" leads me to believe that the electrode is still in there and the piston is grinding it into the head. You'd still get good compression if that was the case. My take is, do what Diggs says first, but be prepared to pull the head if you can't find the electrode. Look at the bright side. You'll get a chance to clean the carbon from the pistons and valves without paying for blasting.

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
What's your theory?
I went through a similar end result. Electrode tip came off (melted a good bit) but ceramic was mostly intact.

Judging by the plug pics above. It doesnt seem it was running lean, none were. They were running regular gas too and not E. The other plugs almost look a bit cold for the tune vs the one that broke but even that one doesnt look too hot. Perhaps the plug was gapped incorrectly, ground strap weakened and the rest is history?

The ceramic does show some age wear though.

I've seen a lot of people with RS7 plug issues lately. UM advises against them.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I need some help, last week I got a CEL P0303 misfire, first thought check the spark plugs. I took it out and the tip was broken, it's inside the engine? I replaced all 4 plugs I tried to get the broken tip out with a magnet but no go Now the car makes this weird sound, youtube link below. I rented a borescope from autozone but I don't see anything inside, and did compression test all cylinders were about 150-160. Am I screwed or what do I do next?

https://youtube.com/shorts/1TgDpLs2MgA?feature=share
What are your mods, if any?

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE - After trying to fish it out with no luck, I changed the oil hoping for the best and I turned it on, it started vibrating like crazy for 3 secs then it was smooth again and the sound went away. I drove it around for about an hour maybe a bit more with no issues and it was running great. I turned it on today in the morning and within the first 2 mins it went crazy again with the clicking sound and it shut off on its own, so I left it off.
what should be my next step, pull the head out?

Mods are, intercooler Ultimate Racing DP and a stage 2 tune.
I like to believe I gapped it right but that was about a year and some change ago.

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
So it restarted today and idled fine for a while then started going crazy? What does AFR look like? Can you start it and log AFR until it goes crazy?
It ran great last night with no issues but today back to square one again. I'll do that log later on today when I get out of work.