GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Required... Too rich at idle error

S3 Freak

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi gents,

Need some help with my audi S3 8v, the past 2 weeks been receiving the below error code:
Fuel control system 2 (bank 1)
(P21F9) too rich at idle

For the past 2 weeks the car starts Normal on cold start, but if I switch off and try starting again it does not. Have to crank a couple of times then it starts.

Did some research and replaced couple parts
PCV
O2 sensors
Injectors
Intake temp sensor
Checked for air leaks etc

Yesterday I noticed that if I remove the dipstick or remove my silicone hose to my boost tap (creating a boost Leak) the car starts immediately on the turn... Any idea what it could be? Seems like the car is choking or something :confused:

Regards

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi gents,

Need some help with my audi S3 8v, the past 2 weeks been receiving the below error code:
(P21F9) too rich at idle

For the past 2 weeks the car starts Normal on cold start, but if I switch off and try starting again it does not. Have to crank a couple of times then it starts.

PCV
O2 sensors
Injectors
Intake temp sensor

Yesterday I noticed that if I remove the dipstick or remove my silicone hose to my boost tap (creating a boost Leak) the car starts immediately on the turn... Any idea what it could be? Seems like the car is choking or something :confused:

Regards

How many miles and how many miles on the spark plugs? I would have got it diagnosed before I started blowing money on parts. That's the risk you take replacing parts based on a code.

S3 Freak

Passed Driver's Ed
How many miles and how many miles on the spark plugs? I would have got it diagnosed before I started blowing money on parts. That's the risk you take replacing parts based on a code.

Car is out of warranty, I've tried locally and nobody is able to diagnose the problem lol... New plugs so that can be ruled out.

Don't like the idea of blowing money on parts unnecessarly, but but luckily I had a couple of spare parts which I tried on except for the injectors.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Hi gents,

(P21F9) too rich at idle

PCV
O2 sensors
Injectors
Intake temp sensor

Regards

Hey man. We've been conversating on FB since we have similar issues. Hope you figure it out. My cells are p2188 (System too rich at idle, Bank1) and p2196 (02 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich). Same hard start issues as you but also have issue with bad idle causing car to almost stall when idling. So far I've replaced plugs, PCV, Evap purge valve and front O2. I need to do smoke test next and if looks good check to see injectors or HPFP is bad.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey man. We've been conversating on FB since we have similar issues. Hope you figure it out. My cells are p2188 (System too rich at idle, Bank1) and p2196 (02 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich). Same hard start issues as you but also have issue with bad idle causing car to almost stall when idling. So far I've replaced plugs, PCV, Evap purge valve and front O2. I need to do smoke test next and if looks good check to see injectors or HPFP is bad.

Wonder if that brine didn't ruin one of those 2.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
I used to have a beetle and the crankshaft position sensor would go bad when warm preventing the car from starting.

Once it was started it was fine but if you stopped the car you had to wait for the sensor to cool down before it would start again.

Not sure if these engines have the same sensor, but it is something to think about.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Looks like my issue was due to faulty injector. Injectors replaced and all seems good now. Hope you get yours sorted soon.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

S3 G

Car(s)
S3
Hi gents,

(P21F9) too rich at idle

PCV
O2 sensors
Injectors
Intake temp sensor

Regards
Did you manage to get this sorted I have the same faults.