GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help needed to install a control module to a 12v

marchoz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Can someone guide me of how to install this thingy on the fuse box by the steering wheels. I want it to be working just like locking and unlocking the door with the remote.. I’m guessing to have 12v power at all time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
You’ll want a fuse tap aka add-a-fuse for this. They have them in various sizes on Amazon. Then you’ll need to find the correct fuse in the fuse box to use.

marchoz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
You’ll want a fuse tap aka add-a-fuse for this. They have them in various sizes on Amazon. Then you’ll need to find the correct fuse in the fuse box to use.
I’ve seen the cigarette lighter 12v fuse that can stay on at all time. Will it drain my battery in the long run? Since this is for a cutout exhaust remote control? Or what other fuse can I tap this into?

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I’ve seen the cigarette lighter 12v fuse that can stay on at all time. Will it drain my battery in the long run? Since this is for a cutout exhaust remote control? Or what other fuse can I tap this into?
I think you have that backwards. The cigarette lighter fused is switched and it turns off with the ignition. I used a add-a-fuse for my dash cam and I went with the cigarette lighter fuse. I will have to look once I am off work to see which fuse it actually is.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
This is the fuse I am talking about. Not sure on the exact number, but there are charts floating around the web.

Attachments

• CC67FB1C-5D4B-4729-A32E-1661288C2A54.jpeg
    CC67FB1C-5D4B-4729-A32E-1661288C2A54.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why not do this the right way and use the fuse-tap in the fuse box? You asked for advice then shot it down and did your own thing anyway

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
They didn’t have me long enough wires 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t feel like going to get extra wires
The add-a-fuse taps have short flying leads so you can connect the wires from your accessory to. They are not meant to be a "wiring harness" that runs to your accessory.