GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP NEEDED! Misfire/Valve Cover/Compression

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some help in regards to my problem I’m having with my 2017 GTI S 6spd manual.

I am custom tuned, IS38, FBO. I currently have just under 108k miles on my car. For the last 8 months or so, my car has had a random “hiccup” when under light throttle. It does not hiccup when I’m accelerating even the slightest bit. It mostly occurs when I have my cruise set, and it happens in every gear. There have been no codes that have popped up, and I’ve checked all of my electrical connections, and nothing out of the ordinary. I am wondering if it could possibly be my throttle body, but not quite sure. It does feel electrical related and not fuel related, but I have also thought it could be the fuel filter, as that’s never been replaced.

This issue isn’t that worrisome to me though compared to what I just experienced. I recently went on a road trip, and my car would drive perfectly normal, and boost fine, in gears 1-3, but 4-6, if I was going up a big hill, and I stepped on the gas like 50% throttle in 4th, my EPC light would come on, and my car would shutter, like it’s misfiring. Weird thing is if I dropped it down to 3rd gear, the stutter would stop, and the car would boost fully with no issues, even with the EPC light still on. If I turned the car off, and on again, the EPC light would disappear, and car would drive normal.

So I was a little nervous about this, and when I got home, I decided to do a compression test. Upon removing my spark plugs, I noticed there was oil on cylinders 1 and 4 spark plugs, which I’ve never seen before on this car. I then did compression, and here are the results:

Cylinder 1: 115
Cylinder 2: 114
Cylinder 3: 115
Cylinder 4: 111

I thought to myself that the compression looked very low, but the compression across all cylinders were within 5 of each other, which is good. I also want to note that I did this test on a basically cold/luke luke warm engine, and I didn’t remove all the spark plugs before doing this test. I tested one cylinder at a time. So I’m wondering if my engine is healthy or not, just with the compression being low. Any thoughts?

I began thinking what would be causing oil to get on my spark plugs, and thought it could possibly be a leaking valve cover, so I inspected that and found some leaks around the sealant areas (see pics).

So really I don’t know what to think of my car right now. I have ordered some valve cover sealant and new spark plugs in hopes that maybe my current plugs are bad (35k miles on them right now so I’m sure they need to be replaced), and that the plugs were the culprit of causing a misfire, and that the new valve cover sealant will stop the cause of oil getting on my plugs in the future, but I am concerned about how low the compression came out. I understand that not all compression testers read the same, and I am in 3400ft elevation, so that could be a possibility of why it’s low, but do any of you have any thoughts on it?

Thank you.

Attachments

• A84CFB66-520D-45A1-B428-2CF8F67CB9FC.jpeg
    A84CFB66-520D-45A1-B428-2CF8F67CB9FC.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 138
  • E25C0A8C-E110-4965-BA49-02AFE4E616C7.jpeg
    E25C0A8C-E110-4965-BA49-02AFE4E616C7.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 116
  • B89F902B-FB53-4B5E-B49E-ECA8639182E5.jpeg
    B89F902B-FB53-4B5E-B49E-ECA8639182E5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 96
  • 87BF8EB4-4A5B-45E3-A8FC-8F0519EF7822.jpeg
    87BF8EB4-4A5B-45E3-A8FC-8F0519EF7822.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Update:

Pilled the valve cover off, and the gasket seal around the cylinders was leaking, which was causing oil to get into the spark plug areas. Cleaned all that, and applied new sealant. Let’s is sit for 24hrs, and went for a drive and checked plugs. No more oil on plugs. So the valve cover leak was the issue.

I also re-addressed compression as well. Removed all plugs, and did the compression test with the engine hot. I used a different compression tester that I used on my M3 years ago (the first one was a Harbor Freight one), as well as used the HB one to see the comparison. The HB came out to 121 (a Cyl 1), and my old one came out to 154 (Cyl 1). Affirmed that cheap compression testers don’t provide accurate results. Went along and did the other three cylinders, and they came out to 154 (Cyl 2), 155 (Cyl 3), and 155 (Cyl 4). So my car is completely healthy!!!

Replaced plugs with new ones, and the car rips!!