GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP :) mk7 pano roof won't close

ondafly

Car(s)
MK7 GTI, RRS, EVO5
hi - just been cleaning the rails and applying gummifledge. when I stupidly push down a tab with a cloth that is along the rails - pretty sure i did the same on the pax side too. idiot should have been paying more attention.

anyway roof won't fully close now.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6Xc2RLmS5PQ

additional pic from a working pano ! the tab is generally where i circled

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Can you manually pop the screen deflector back up? My guess is it’s sensing an obstruction

ondafly

Car(s)
MK7 GTI, RRS, EVO5
I've managed to get it open - by pushing upwards towards the rear of the glass. This slid it open, however initially it was sitting on the roof - i've since loosed up the little mechanism on either side, so that it sits up a bit now.

However when I go to close - same issue - gets stuck at that point.

Is there any sensors or something around there, that I've inadvertently covered up with grime ? also the little tab has not reappared :(

heres a pic of the rail now. tab is in the inner yellow bit.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wonder if OBDeleven allows for manual reset/service position

ondafly

Car(s)
MK7 GTI, RRS, EVO5
So finally got the roof closed. And for future self here's what I did. Got it open by pushing upwards on the glass as stated above. Then the little tab in yellow above - I fished that out on both sides. Then closed the roof. However as it nearly closes it pushes open fully but instead I closed it a second time and pushed it along.

So there's definitely a sensor somewhere that's getting triggered and doing a full open when it meets resistance.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Thought I'd throw this in for what it's worth:

Sunroof Reset Procedure
  • Open sunroof FULLY and CONTINUE to hold the switch in the full OPEN position for at least 5 Seconds.
  • Close the sunroof FULLY and CONTINUE to hold the switch in the CLOSED position, the sunroof will immediately back up and slide open, but CONTINUE holding the switch in the CLOSED position. It will stop in the full open position.
  • Procedure complete.