GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me get wheels

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking into getting a set of wheels for the track, what are your thoughts on running 18x8 vs 18x8.5. I can run 235's on the 8" rim w no problem, but will putting 245's on 8.5 change much?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I recently got to test drive a gti on 245’s. @GTIfan99 talked it up a good deal. And it was very well composed in the turns while communicating very well too.

I’d consider 8.5” wide

bfury5

Autocross Champion
8.5" wide would be your best bet. I went with 17x8.5 instead of 18x8.5 because the tires I'm using are much cheaper in a 17" rim compared to 18" rim (something to consider). The wheels were cheaper as well.

How much rim width you want depends on the tire size / profile as well. How well the front end feels / turns-in will depend on how stiff the tire is, and how well it's supported by the rim.

What tires are you planning to run?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Look at the Apex Wheel post if you are looking for track wheels. SM-10’s in both 17’s and 18’s. 8.5’s should be a safe bet. 9’s will likely need some camber and tweaking to fit. Should be ready in the Spring.

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/►-official-apex-vw-wheel-thread.374229/

Im running 255-40-17 Nitto NT01’s on Neuspeed RSE17x8.5’s ET45 for reference. No spacers. Fender screw mod. Stock ride height. No rubbing. Other than a light rub of the right hand rear, fuel filler guard.