GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me decide between 2012 and 2017 Sportwagens...

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, looking to get back into a vdub and narrowed it down to two choices--
1. 2012 Jetta Sportwagen - 133k miles but under $5k, would have to get a PPI done. It's got the 2.5L engine which I am a big fan of and I'm pretty sure it'd drive like a slightly bigger version of my 2013 Golf and 2014 GTI that I had before. Only worry is that it's an older car and I might miss the improvements that VW made on the MQB platform Golfs.

2. 2017 Golf Sportwagen - 27k miles $16k. It's a better car on paper--on a lighter and stiffer platform, 1.8TSI is more efficient and offers more tuning potential but will never have the smoothness and character the 2.5L has.
The other worry is that I find the steering on the mk7s very light, far lighter than even the base 2013 Golf I had.

My question to current mk7 owners is, have any of you when you bought your current mk7 vehicle thought the steering was way too light but you got used to it eventually?

Last edited:

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
The steering is slightly lighter on my 2018 sportwagen compared to my 2015 GTI. You get use to it pretty quickly and I don't even notice anymore.

As far as the two cars go, the 2.5 is a pretty reliable engine, but at over 100k miles more than the 1.8, you may end up putting more money into it due to regular maintenance/repairs. If you plan on tuning/modding then the 1.8 is the way to go.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
1. 2012 Jetta Sportwagen - 133k miles but under $5k, would have to get a PPI done. It's got the 2.5L engine which I am a big fan of and I'm pretty sure it'd drive like a slightly bigger version of my 2013 Golf and 2014 GTI that I had before. Only worry is that it's an older car and I might miss the improvements that VW made on the MQB platform Golfs.

2. 2017 Golf Sportwagen - 27k miles $16k. It's a better car on paper--on a lighter and stiffer platform, 1.8TSI is more efficient and offers more tuning potential but will never have the smoothness and character the 2.5L has.
The other worry is that I find the steering on the mk7s very light.

My question to current mk7 owners is, have any of you when you bought your current mk7 vehicle thought the steering was way too light but you got used to it eventually?
I had a 2012 Golf R and the steering was stiffer on it than it is in my MK7 GTI - I noticed that in the beginning, but now, the GTI is the tits. I love it.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
The overly light steering is the only thing that is keeping me from going with the 2017 SportWagen honestly. I've had a car with overly light steering (2017 Mazda 3) and it drove me absolutely nuts, even though it was a better car to daily than the 2014 GTI that it replaced. It got traded in one miserable year later.

That's why they key question is "Has anyone who thought that the mk7 steering too light when they first bought it gotten used to it over time".

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

The other worry is that I find the steering on the mk7s very light, far lighter than even the base 2013 Golf I had.

The 2017 is a no brainer. Because of the mileage and the advanced safety equipment on the 17. You'll get used to the lighter steering. And the 17 has great modding choices if you choose to do so.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You can adjust the steering on the 17s with VCDS.

Pulled from a quick google, but I've read other threads on it - Just didn't bookmark them.
Both procedures pertain to the Steering Assist control module @ address hex44

1. If you use the security code 28183, you can alter the setting for the adaptation channel IDE03734-Support power to a lower value (default is 100%). Problem with this method is that the changed setting only applies for the current ignition-on sequence. When you turn-off the ignition, the setting will revert back to 100%

2. The setting for the adaptation channel IDE04130-Characteristic curve of steering assistance can also change the "feel" of the steering wheel. The default setting is "Driving profile selection button", but you might try other values like "Auto", "Comfort", "Dynamic" which may suit you better

The 1st only works for the current ignition cycle, so once you turn the car off it reverts. The second will stick. Default is linked with the driving profile, which you can also enable with VCDS I believe.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have a 2012 SE Jetta wagon and a 2017 GTI. Certain parts of the Mk6 feels better than the Mk7. The door panels and dash of the Mk6 have a more solid feel to it. The 2.5 isn't as smooth as the 1.8T...but it makes enough power and torque to pass and merge when needed.

I got the Mk6 new in 2012 and it has about 100k now. I gave to my dad when I got my GTI. Its been to the dealer once at around 40k for a broken rear latch motor. That's it. Its been as reliable as ever. All I've done is oil changes every 10k and spark plugs and air filter every 40k. Still on the original pads.

If money isn't a big deal...go with the newer Mk7...but if money is a concern...and if the Mk6 is in good shape...I wouldn't hesitate on getting it.

wesg

Car(s)
2018 Sportwagen
I have a 2018 GSW which replaced a 1999 B5 A4. The Audi steering was a lot heavier and had a lot more feedback than the GSW. The GSW steering was way too light and has no feel. I changed the coding to "Dynamic" as noted in msg #7. It made a very slight improvement in the feel, but it's still not great.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have a 2018 GSW which replaced a 1999 B5 A4. The Audi steering was a lot heavier and had a lot more feedback than the GSW. The GSW steering was way too light and has no feel. I changed the coding to "Dynamic" as noted in msg #7. It made a very slight improvement in the feel, but it's still not great.

Its because the GSW has electric power steering where your B5 had hydraulic. The electric power steering does feel a bit numb...but as technology moves forward...it'll get better.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2012 SE Jetta wagon and a 2017 GTI. Certain parts of the Mk6 feels better than the Mk7. The door panels and dash of the Mk6 have a more solid feel to it. The 2.5 isn't as smooth as the 1.8T...but it makes enough power and torque to pass and merge when needed.

I got the Mk6 new in 2012 and it has about 100k now. I gave to my dad when I got my GTI. Its been to the dealer once at around 40k for a broken rear latch motor. That's it. Its been as reliable as ever. All I've done is oil changes every 10k and spark plugs and air filter every 40k. Still on the original pads.

If money isn't a big deal...go with the newer Mk7...but if money is a concern...and if the Mk6 is in good shape...I wouldn't hesitate on getting it.

How does the steering feel on the highway between the 2012 Jetta and the 2017 GTI?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You would probably want to choose Dynamic in the second settings mentioned above. That should give you added "weight" based on (what feels to me) like a couple curves, based on vehicle speed and overall steering input. For example, steering always feels light at parking lot speeds regardless of driving profile/mode selected. At speed the difference in the modes becomes apparent the further off-center you get.

Assuming a GSW doesn't come with driving profiles (modes), they must be loaded to the gateway and the FEC added to your car. Not something that can be done with VCDS. You would need to add the center console button to change modes. Not saying all of this can't be done... but it's not a simple coding change.

Blah blah, you will likely get used to the steering, even without making any coding changes and/or having driving modes. With your two options, I would go GSW every day of the week.

Timeisflat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 VW GSW Manual
have any of you when you bought your current mk7 vehicle thought the steering was way too light but you got used to it eventually?
I’ve gotten used to the lightness. The lack of feedback that plagues every EPS setup I’ve ever driven? No, I still miss hydraulic PS. But that alone isn’t enough to pass up a MK7