GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help ma Bob! My R is smoking something on start-up

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
What year is your car and how many miles and any mods?

2016 R, 108,000 km (67,108 miles)
IE V2 intake and Resonator delete basically.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
2016 R, 108,000 km (67,108 miles)
IE V2 intake and Resonator delete basically.
You know that you'll have to leave the car at the dealer overnight so they can do the cold start right? So have a ride available.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
Just get it to the dealer if it doesn't smoke and runs okay after it's warmed up. And definitely no CEL?

No power problems, at all driving it .... Seems a big laggy maybe.
I made sure well driving it that it doesn't smoke at all even booting it. Seems to run perfect well driving, other than the quiet lifter tick noise that VW can't seem to hear.

No CEL as of yet .... I'd notice it immediately. I drive with my center gauge on the oil temp, as I'm a little OCD after having a EA888.1 In my 2011 A3Q (oil consumption 101).

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
You know that you'll have to leave the car at the dealer overnight so they can do the cold start right? So have a ride available.
It'll cold-start after 2 hours. For whatever reason .... Like it does the cat warm up, if you leave it for enough time that it deem's worthy for an annoying start.

I'll get a ride for sure .... I wish it was still normal warranty and not just CPO ....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It'll cold-start after 2 hours. For whatever reason .... Like it does the cat warm up, if you leave it for enough time that it deem's worthy for an annoying start.

I'll get a ride for sure .... I wish it was still normal warranty and not just CPO ....
Good luck I'll bet it's something that's not so bad since it runs fine after it's warmed up.
Please let us know what they say.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
Okay so I swapped to my stock intake this morning before start-up, to get it ready for the dealer. It didn't smoke or do loud missfires .... This issue is definitely hit and miss damnit. Maybe it was to do with the intake. Details below ....

My IE intake had some crazy pollen build-up inside .... I wonder if it was partly causing this smoking on start-up. I had everything tightened properly and everything fit right from the looks of it, so I'm not quite sure how it's got in .... Appreciate if you could drop a comment on the thread I posted about it as I can't find anything on it or why it would be happening. Pictures to follow this evening.

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/pollen-mayhem-big-problems-in-my-cai.385292/

Don't ask me why I didn't post in the right sub-forum. Not sure what I was thinking.

Last edited: