GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help - LPFP Install Fail - Strange Issue

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone ever had this issue when installing 525? My rail pressure just keeps creeping up and up and up at idle and light load until finally thwyre literally at max regulated pressure 7200+ . They just slowly keep going up for no reason.

We're pretty sure this is what tripped fuse the first time. If I let it idle for more than a few minutes it just won't stop building insane amounts of pressure

Do you have a vacuum leak?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Do you have a vacuum leak?
Could be a possibility but I torqued everything down well so idk where it could be. He did mention the same thing actually said my idle afrs were off slightly..

I'll boost leak test but it's still hitting max boost. But still a little skeptical of the injector seals.

It only does this when things start to get hot which is strange. Maybe the drain back valve isn't compatible and it just keeps building pressure/speed

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Could be a possibility but I torqued everything down well so idk where it could be. He did mention the same thing actually said my idle afrs were off slightly..

I'll boost leak test but it's still hitting max boost. But still a little skeptical of the injector seals.

It only does this when things start to get hot which is strange. Maybe the drain back valve isn't compatible and it just keeps building pressure/speed

Curious. What is your idle AFR at? Steady or chasing?

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Looks chasey to me :(

Looks like it.
Would be nice to have a tuner chime in. I have a similar situation, my idle fluctuates between 0.92+ to 1.02 or so. I don't know if it is tune related to pulse the catalyst for efficiency or a vacuum leak.
I'm of the thought that it is the latter so I checked and did find some issues, but car is still not 100% so it is ongoing. In any case, I no longer idle for long because MPG takes a hit as a consequence and I won't install the MPI KIT until I have the issue ironed out.

If it wasn't happening before, undue what you did and log again. It would have to be either LPFP, vacuum leak at the new Intake manifold holes or the new software version.
I had to remove a lot of hardware to figure out what was wrong with my car when I went from one tuner to another in November. So much so that after 3+ years issue free on tuner #1, I am now back to running stock plugs, coils, PCV and DV. on tuner #2 because it runs better.

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
My first intuition was vac leak at the Manifold injector spots however I think its fine. ECU has adapted a bit and idle doesn't seem as chasey. WOT logs moose says AFR looks fine so I aint gonna buy trouble.

My vac @ idle is 20-21 and on decell is 23.5-24. I dont remember ever seeing 24 so that number has increased but my Vac hasn't even broken the 10 percent rule so Ima leave it.

I sprayed brake cleaner everywhere, tap, and even sprayed directly into injector holes LOL but still couldn't hear any surging so Ima just send it.

Heres the truly hilarious part...

I got sick of everything and got mad and just sent it 27psi 7* 3 back to back pulls with some cerma treatment in the tank.

Idle pressures are perfectly fine now xD it's not creeping nearly as bad as before. My friend thinks pump was just new and stiff and needed broken in. IDFK with these cars they make no sense sometimes!

However I want to convert my CTS MPI kit over to the fuel routing that PR uses (where it goes straight into rail and then to hpfp instead of back down and around). I think this plus OEM lines are contributing to the hot high pressure problem. Does anyone know what size the CTS rail fittings are? Are they the same as PR fittings or AN-6 threaded fittings?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
My first intuition was vac leak at the Manifold injector spots however I think its fine. ECU has adapted a bit and idle doesn't seem as chasey. WOT logs moose says AFR looks fine so I aint gonna buy trouble.

My vac @ idle is 20-21 and on decell is 23.5-24. I dont remember ever seeing 24 so that number has increased but my Vac hasn't even broken the 10 percent rule so Ima leave it.

I sprayed brake cleaner everywhere, tap, and even sprayed directly into injector holes LOL but still couldn't hear any surging so Ima just send it.

Heres the truly hilarious part...

I got sick of everything and got mad and just sent it 27psi 7* 3 back to back pulls with some cerma treatment in the tank.

Idle pressures are perfectly fine now xD it's not creeping nearly as bad as before. My friend thinks pump was just new and stiff and needed broken in. IDFK with these cars they make no sense sometimes!

However I want to convert my CTS MPI kit over to the fuel routing that PR uses (where it goes straight into rail and then to hpfp instead of back down and around). I think this plus OEM lines are contributing to the hot high pressure problem. Does anyone know what size the CTS rail fittings are? Are they the same as PR fittings or AN-6 threaded fittings?
I had the cts mpi kit and the PR fuel line kit. The fitting from the fuel line kit was too small for the cts rail. I never got around to figuring it out and cts never responded to my email asking what the size and pitch was.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
It's an 8 PR is a 6 .

I think we're just gonna convert it all over to 6 AN with big T split.

But the line kit I ordered doesn't ecen have the fittings I need to connect it at all. I need a coupler so it can go back to oem size near hpfp for cts mpi routing.

So far so good 29psi, 7* waiting for tank to go down then let the E tuning begin!!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Issue just went away after a few trips to full pump speed.

Has anyone else ever noticed these pumps being stiff or does it take time for the ecu to learn not to draw so much? quite strange

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
so how much current draw before the oem pump controller calls it quits?
Hard to say most cap at 84 total speed for the 525.

That's why it's best to go 525 because the 450 can't be ran at full speed anyway so might as well as much as you. An with less

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I mean what's the amperage, the current, before the pump quits? so 84 is a percentage I assume, but what's that translate to in amps?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I mean what's the amperage, the current, before the pump quits? so 84 is a percentage I assume, but what's that translate to in amps?
No one knows because it isn't all amp based. The controller interprets Ecu PW signals from the ecu and turns that into power for the pump. Speed = power or draw of the pump. 84% IS the safe limit.

This is from TI website:

Our data shows us that the F90000285 pump flows 8% more than the F90000274 pump, but in order for that to happen, it has to draw 15% more current. So it is essentially the same pump, but using more current to drive the electric motor harder.

So a 525 at 84% is still out flowed by a 450 with a controller at 100% speed. Interesting. I need a Pm4 but the $$ is outrageous

Last edited: