GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! - Loud Braking Noise

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hi all, my GTI recently started making this really loud noise on braking. I've taken it to the dealer who said its a normal noise without even checking the car. Took it to a garage that is owned by a family friend, they said the pads are fine and that the discs need to smoothened out which they did (shimming). However, the sound is still there and it is driving me nuts!!

Please help!

I'm not sure how to embed a video but here is the link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNURby02xVc&feature=youtu.be

Johnny Blaze

Go Kart Champion
Take it in the dealer. Call VW corporate and tell them you have this issue with the brand new car. They should open a case and at least try to resolve the matter.

mittenz

Ready to race!

First of all, don't wear sandals when you drive... seriously its not a good idea.

And that sound sounds very much like a rock stuck (probably on the inner pad) on one of the wheels. I've had / heard this sound on a number of vehicles I've worked on.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Take it in the dealer. Call VW corporate and tell them you have this issue with the brand new car. They should open a case and at least try to resolve the matter.

Dealer sucks, and they are the ones who dismissed it without even looking at it. I've tried my best to contact VW Middle East, but there is no way to do so, not even a number! I've had problems since day one, and they say that we have to fix it, we can't just give you a new car. Its been a defective car since day one!

First of all, don't wear sandals when you drive... seriously its not a good idea.

And that sound sounds very much like a rock stuck (probably on the inner pad) on one of the wheels. I've had / heard this sound on a number of vehicles I've worked on.

I was wearing sandals as I went out just for the purpose of the video :p

If i remember correctly, the sound started the day after I visited the beach, but even then all I did is park on the gravel/sand, and near the entrance of the sand lot due to the fear of my car and the fear of damaging it by driving on sand/gravel :(

i have taken to a number of shops for them to open and check but most of them are too scared to do so saying theres all these wires and sensors that they are afraid to break so they won't check it. This is where this country lacks, we dont have proper mechanics or garages like most western countries. Most mechanics in Dubai are hired from the subcontinent at minimum wage with minimum knowledge. Heck even the mechanic at the dealer who supposedly has 15 years experience had the nerve to tell me that I poured coffee into my coolant tank when I ran out of coolant and he opened to check!!! There was a burning smell with a hint of coffee which is apparently normal when the coolant goes bad (as I was told by my dads friend who runs a garage well known for its restorations and exotics).

If it is that rock that is stuck how can i get it out?

What do you guys suggest I do? I have half the mind of just going and leaving the car at the dealer until they fix all my problems (leaking roof, dried burnt coolant, the brakes etc.).

CdnX

Ready to race!
I know on some cars with a dust shield around the rotor sometimes a rock can get caught in there and grind against the wheel or rotor. Should be easy to spot if you take the wheel off and inspect. Inspect the rotors for any irregular scoring that'll be a clue as to which wheel is affected.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
I know on some cars with a dust shield around the rotor sometimes a rock can get caught in there and grind against the wheel or rotor. Should be easy to spot if you take the wheel off and inspect. Inspect the rotors for any irregular scoring that'll be a clue as to which wheel is affected.

Thanks man will do that. The thing is, I got the brake discs machined so shouldn't they have found something?

CdnX

Ready to race!
Thanks man will do that. The thing is, I got the brake discs machined so shouldn't they have found something?

Were the discs scored or wearing unevenly? Check them visually through the wheel to see if one is scoring again from debris rubbing on it. I can't imagine needing to have them machined so soon or at all. By way of example I have an 06 Xterra and have never had the discs machined, replaced once but not machined. Disc are so cheap these days anyway.

Definitely should have seen something, if there was anything to see, when they pulled the discs. So maybe it isn't a debris. Next would be to look at the pads maybe one is breaking apart. Try a firm braking with hands off the wheel and see if the cars pulls to one side. Also after a routine drive stop and put your hand on the rim if one is hotter then the others that would be the suspect brake to focus on. Finally I'd check the parking brake.

In any event I'd be harassing the dealer to inspect all four corners with the wheels off and if there problem isn't there then to start trouble shooting.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Were the discs scored or wearing unevenly? Check them visually through the wheel to see if one is scoring again from debris rubbing on it. I can't imagine needing to have them machined so soon or at all. By way of example I have an 06 Xterra and have never had the discs machined, replaced once but not machined. Disc are so cheap these days anyway.

Definitely should have seen something, if there was anything to see, when they pulled the discs. So maybe it isn't a debris. Next would be to look at the pads maybe one is breaking apart. Try a firm braking with hands off the wheel and see if the cars pulls to one side. Also after a routine drive stop and put your hand on the rim if one is hotter then the others that would be the suspect brake to focus on. Finally I'd check the parking brake.

In any event I'd be harassing the dealer to inspect all four corners with the wheels off and if there problem isn't there then to start trouble shooting.

Thanks man you've been really helpful! :)

I will be harassing them for sure. They just ignored it the first time I went to them and said its normal noise. They will be getting a shit ton from my side this time:D

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
I had the same sound on my previous set of disks/pads and i don't normally drive on unpaved roads! The car went to the dealer and discs were machined just like your car. But a few months later when it went for service they said the disks had to be replaced and a stone most probably did the damage. They didn't see it but its what they suspected! The funny thing is I'm having the same sound all over again with entirely new front discs and pads :(

This is how my affected disc looked like

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4347

Regarding VW middle east contact. Just go to the international VW website and put your claim on their. Don't remember the exact path but it's somewhere around there. They will forward your claim to VW middle east and then VW middle east will have a word with your dealer

All the best

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
I had the same sound on my previous set of disks/pads and i don't normally drive on unpaved roads! The car went to the dealer and discs were machined just like your car. But a few months later when it went for service they said the disks had to be replaced and a stone most probably did the damage. They didn't see it but its what they suspected! The funny thing is I'm having the same sound all over again with entirely new front discs and pads :(

This is how my affected disc looked like

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4347

Regarding VW middle east contact. Just go to the international VW website and put your claim on their. Don't remember the exact path but it's somewhere around there. They will forward your claim to VW middle east and then VW middle east will have a word with your dealer

All the best

Kindi!!! I was hoping you would see this after you told me you still get the sound.

I just had the car propped up and the petrol station maintenance guy removed the passenger side front tyre and showed me the pads are almost done. He used a rotary cleaner which had brushes on it and just lightly cleaned the pad. Whats funny is the sound reduced! and is now mostly on the driver side :confused: I just wish he did the same on the drivers side too :/

Now the problem is....The sound started abruptly, i'm pretty sure if it were the pads, the sound would increase gradually but i don't know, i could be wrong!

I just hope the sound goes away soon as this sounds like a 10 year old car