GOLFMKV

Help Improving Helix/ Ed's Replica Headlights

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Help Improving Replica Headlights

UPDATE:

After an extensive email conversation with https://www.becautoparts.com/ , I have some information to add to the thread, as well as an edit of title and original post.

Ed's Reps are far higher quality than the Helix ones, and even more so than the Winpower or cheap ebay generics.

Ed told me that my complaints about the Helix brand were not uncommon and that most of the customers who switch to his headlights are much more satisfied with them.

Helix:
Halogen Projectors w/ clear lenses (I presume 2.5")
side halogen- not wired
FTP/High beam reflector housing halogen

Ed's Reps:
HID Projectors w/ clear lenses (confirmed 2.5")
GTI model side halogen- wired to work when high beams are on.
GTI model FTP/High Beam High Intensity LED
Golf R model FTP/High Beam is a projector (I presume halogen)

I have a set of Eds Reps on the way and will update the thread with comparison photos between the two with the same bulbs and ballasts.

Im still going to be interested in seeing what makes them tick, how they are wired, whether I can get the side halogens to activate with the turn signals, etc... I am very excited to get my hands on them :D

Original Post below for archive:

I'm not really that satisfied with the light output from my Helix LP Rep Headlights. Just compared to the OEM Mk5 GTI projectors... it is pretty weak.

I've already upgraded the bulbs and supporting HID system w/ 35w Morimoto Ballasts, and Osram Xenarc CBL D2S bulbs.

The cutoff is clean, with that lovely crisp blue edge, but the beam pattern shows a lot of ugly shadows since the projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, not HIDs.

Does anyone know what the size of the lens are, could I just swap the lenses with an FX-R lens? Or should I go for a full projector swap... and in that case, which projector retro would be a direct swap for the halogen projectors inside the Helix/ Ed's headlights?

Or is this all pointless and the OEM LP projectors have a better output without the center hotspot and star shaped shadows of the reps? I don't much need the dynamic lighting features of a full LP retro, just a clean output without shadows and a nice cut off a-la E46 projectors.

Last edited:

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
I'm not really that satisfied with the light output from my Helix LP Rep Headlights. Just compared to the OEM Mk5 GTI projectors... it is pretty weak.

I've already upgraded the bulbs and supporting HID system w/ 35w Morimoto Ballasts, and Osram Xenarc CBL D2S bulbs.

The cutoff is clean, with that lovely crisp blue edge, but the beam pattern shows a lot of ugly shadows since the projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, not HIDs.

Does anyone know what the size of the lens are, could I just swap the lenses with an FX-R lens? Or should I go for a full projector swap... and in that case, which projector retro would be a direct swap for the halogen projectors inside the Helix/ Ed's headlights?

Or is this all pointless and the OEM LP projectors have a better output without the center hotspot and star shaped shadows of the reps? I don't much need the dynamic lighting features of a full LP retro, just a clean output without shadows and a nice cut off a-la E46 projectors.

Assume you've checked to make sure the bulbs are oriented correctly? This sounds like when the bulb is not quite seated in the holder.

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
FYI - we don't sell Helix LP Rep Headlights...

This is what the beam pattern on our headlights look like.

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Updated my OP Ed, thank you so much for the email exchanges over the week. I realize that not all the Reps are created equal and Im excited to get my hands on a set of yours to compare in person.

Maybe you could help, is there any way to get the side halogens (on the GTI model) to trigger with low beams when the turn signal is activated? Is this a wiring issue, or a coding one?