GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help identifying EGT sensor!!

x symplicity x

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello fellow golfers

Got a cr150 engine. EML Showed it’s ugly face the other day so I plugged in me laptop and rear the DTCs through vcds. I had a fault code P0544 - Exhaust Temperature Sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1 // Circuit Malfunction.

No change in performance to the car itself, and took the car to work the following 2 days as I had no choice and I only live 3.5mi from work.

So I knew the sensor had packed up but then yesterday the Glow Plug Indicator lamp started flickering (yellow sideways coil). Switched ignition off the on again. Still flashing.

Vcds was plugged back in and there was another NEW fault code sitting proudly beneath the P0544......cant remember the code but it said Excessive Soot in particle filter or something. This was shortly followed by the car going into limp mode.

So now I understand my DPF is clogged. I got some Measuring Blocks going for the Calculated/Measured soot in the DPF and there’s about 43.40grams. The car will not regenerate itself due to the EGT sensor being Donald ducked.

My question is, does anyone know which sensor is EGT Bank 1, Sensor 1?

There’s 2 visible sensors next to the turbo, one after and one before, both leading to a 2-pin brown harness and the other a 6-pin larger black harness. There is also a orange harness with 2 pins on the same bracket but this sensor appears to be going down the back of the engine.

Any experience with this before? And yes my short commutes don’t help, which is why I regularly go for a blast with my mates down the motorway every week and to car shows before anyone tells me off.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm not 100% certain which one it is....but try unplugging one & cycle the ignition, but without turning the engine on...see what fault code it throws up to identify it...

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
That sensor is G235 and sits in your exhaust manifold pre turbo. Not the easiest sensor to replace. it can be done without removing the DPF but its pretty tight and you'll need the appropriate tools. Also try a force regen if you have VCDS or equivalent. Sometimes it can build up to the point where you'll need a new DPF

x symplicity x

Passed Driver's Ed
You’re telling me that Exhaust Temperature Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 is fitted to the exhaust manifold down by the DPF? Damn I thought it was wither the 22mm or 19mm sensor sitting either side of the turbo.....what colour harness is it and do you have a part number? There’s no concrete info on google this is why I’ve had to shout out to you guys

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
I can't recall the color of the plug, its either orange or brown. And if you give them the sensor code g235 they should be able to reference it. You are gen 1 common rail correct?

x symplicity x

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve got a 63 plate CR150, registered October 2013 if that’s any help? I’d assume it’s Gen 1 as the mk7 only came out that year (I think lol). But yeah I was looking at the Orange and Brown plugs, the brown one traces to a probe that screws into the left of the turbo and the orange one yeets down the back of the engine somewhere. Both 2 pin connections.

x symplicity x

Passed Driver's Ed
Just found a huge online manual for my engine, the EA888. Says that EGT sensor 1 Bank 1 is indeed a G235. Maybe they are the exact same sensor regardless of it being for a MK6 or a MK7? It can’t be 2 entirely different sensors under the same G235 code name?

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Just found a huge online manual for my engine, the EA888. Says that EGT sensor 1 Bank 1 is indeed a G235. Maybe they are the exact same sensor regardless of it being for a MK6 or a MK7? It can’t be 2 entirely different sensors under the same G235 code name?

The sensor code is universal across a lot of platforms for the TDI's GEN 1, 2, and 3 will use the same codes for certain sensors since their purpose is the same