GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

*HELP Car throwing P2004 code

SpoolinMK7

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Greetings fellow MK7 enthusiasts. I have been a long-time lurker but first-time poster on this forum. An issue has arisen with my car and I wanted to seek some Advice/Help from you guys.

My car has been making a Weird Whining/Whistling Sound (It literally sounds like a Supercharger) for about a week now but the car never threw a check engine light until yesterday. I initially thought the Diverter Valve had gone bad but when I hooked up the OBD2 reader, the car threw the code P2004 (Intake Manifold Flap Stuck Open Bank 1). My question is, do I have to replace the entire Intake Manifold or is there some sort of sensor or small part that can be replaced to fix the issue?

Has anyone else had this issue on the MK7 GTI? It seems like a more common issue on the MK6 GTI.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!! :)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
OP, I had a similar code the other week - P2014 Intake Manifold Sensor.
Took my car to a VW Porsche/Audi place, and they quoted me $2,000.00
Essentially $1,000.00 to replace the intake, and another $1,000.00 to replace the injectors which they said (suggested) be done.
Well...
On the way back from that shop, I stopped at World VW of Neptune NJ to talk to them.
They couldn't understand why the first shop suggested injectors, so they said make an appointment and they'd give it a closer look.
Now comes the good part:
They replaced the Intake Manifold free of charge, - and no - the car didn't need injectors!
Turns out the Intake Manifold is covered under a warranty extension due to PZEV regs.
My car by the way is a 2015 (brought new in 2015) with nearly 57,000 miles - and I didn't even purchase it at that dealership.

Last edited:

SpoolinMK7

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
OP, I had a similar code the other week - P2014 Intake Manifold Sensor.
Took my car to a VW Porsche/Audi place, and they quoted me $2,000.00
Essentially $1,000.00 to replace the intake, and another $1,000.00 to replace the injectors which they said (suggested) be done.
Well...
On the way back from that shop, I stopped at World VW of Neptune NJ to talk to them.
They couldn't understand why the first shop suggested injectors, so they said make an appointment and they'd give it a closer look.
Now comes the good part:
They replaced the Intake Manifold free of charge, - and no - the car didn't need injectors!
Turns out the Intake Manifold is covered under a warranty extension due to PZEV regs.
My car by the way is a 2015 (brought new in 2015) with nearly 57,000 miles - and I didn't even purchase it at that dealership.
That's awesome man! Glad you were able to able to get it fixed and at no cost to you. I highly doubt they would replace mine as I bought the car used a year ago and it long out of factory warranty. Maybe I can try giving the dealership a call and see if that leads to anything.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
That's awesome man! Glad you were able to able to get it fixed and at no cost to you. I highly doubt they would replace mine as I bought the car used a year ago and it long out of factory warranty. Maybe I can try giving the dealership a call and see if that leads to anything.
Thank you!
Imagine my surprise from being prepared to pay $2,000, to walking out without paying anything at all!
My life never seems to go that way.
You may be covered for the intake though, since it's an extension of the intakes warranty by VW itself - my car was long out of factory warranty too.
Since they told me it was covered under PZEV, I'm guessing VW might be doing it in reaction to the dieselgate fiasco.
I'd look into it if I were you, and pry them a little.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
This is excellent information, puts a bit of a grenade in the idea that dealers should be avoided once the initial warranty and powertrain warranties have expired. We've got coverage that a good portion of us don't realize we still have.
Those are a lot of potential parts that could fail there.
The first guy I spoke to said the MK6's were covered under PZEV, but was unsure if the MK7's were.
The second guy took a closer look on his computer in front of me, and said that yeah - it looks like it's covered.

SpoolinMK7

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
This is excellent information, puts a bit of a grenade in the idea that dealers should be avoided once the initial warranty and powertrain warranties have expired. We've got coverage that a good portion of us don't realize we still have.
Those are a lot of potential parts that could fail there.
The first guy I spoke to said the MK6's were covered under PZEV, but was unsure if the MK7's were.
The second guy took a closer look on his computer in front of me, and said that yeah - it looks like it's covered.

Thanks, guys! I will most likely have to replace it myself. I know the dealership won't cover me because the car is modified (APR Stage 2) and would definitely void any warranty available. Since I have no way of reverting the vehicle back to stock, looks like I'm gonna have to foot the bill on this one.

SpoolinMK7

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Well I'm gonna revive this thread again. I ended up replacing the intake manifold (with all gaskets), performed carbon cleaning/walnut blasting, and replaced the waterpump after noticing a small leak. The car runs a lot better, the throttle response has improved a lot and it pulls good. However, the car is still making the same noise but is not throwing any check engine lights. I'm wondering if it's the turbo but don't see how that's possible. Turbo only has about 40k on it and there is zero shaft play. Took off the Diverter Valve and it seems a little worn but still in good shape. The sound only comes when the car is building boost and does not do it at idle. The car still seems to be running fine with no significant loss of power noted. Just makes that weird annoying whining noise and I'm just trying to diagnose what it is. Any ideas on what it could be? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.