GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helmet vs. non helmet WITH airbags

With a helmet, a cheap foam neck support/collar is the minimum that should be used to help support the neck in an accident. I use a Hans type device (made by Zamp) in our 24 Hour of Lemons car, as it is mandated by the rules now. It supports so much better than the neck collar, of course.
Those neck collars actually increase neck injuries in a wreck. Creates a nice fulcrum, increasing forces on the neck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
With a helmet, a cheap foam neck support/collar is the minimum that should be used to help support the neck in an accident. I use a Hans type device (made by Zamp) in our 24 Hour of Lemons car, as it is mandated by the rules now. It supports so much better than the neck collar, of course.

The neck collars are pretty much useless for anything other than keeping your neck warm. The Simpson Hybrid S is the only FHR* that will work with 3 point seat belts in addition to 4/5/6 point harnesses (which matters a great deal if you're an instructor).

*HANS is to Frontal Head Restraints as Kleenex is to facial tissue

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Having been in an on-track accident where the airbags deployed, though a slow one, I was very glad to have the helmet as it protected my face from the airbag. If your seat is positioned correctly, the helmet will contact the airbag evenly, just like your face would, making the helmet just another level of protection that you should have.

Having been in an on-track accident where the airbags deployed, though a slow one, I was very glad to have the helmet as it protected my face from the airbag. If your seat is positioned correctly, the helmet will contact the airbag evenly, just like your face would, making the helmet just another level of protection that you should have.
I'm with you. Airbag will F your face up.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Another note from that experience, with my helmet contacting the airbag my head traveled less distance before it was stopped, meaning both my head didn't pick up as much relative speed as it would have otherwise, and my neck was bent less than it would have otherwise, even though the helmet added weight to my head. The only injury I sustained was a slight mark on my arm from where the airbag hit it, and my neck/head/spine felt like nothing happened.

This was a few years ago, but I was recording at the time and watched the video back in slow mo because I was curious. Not talking entirely out of my ass :p. Never been in an accident without a helmet to compare against though.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Another note from that experience, with my helmet contacting the airbag my head traveled less distance before it was stopped, meaning both my head didn't pick up as much relative speed as it would have otherwise, and my neck was bent less than it would have otherwise, even though the helmet added weight to my head. The only injury I sustained was a slight mark on my arm from where the airbag hit it, and my neck/head/spine felt like nothing happened.

This was a few years ago, but I was recording at the time and watched the video back in slow mo because I was curious. Not talking entirely out of my ass :p. Never been in an accident without a helmet to compare against though.

This is great..not the crash of course! Real data. Although it's a sample size of one, it is good to hear about true results. Thanks.

Still awaiting any info from Snell.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Anecdotes :D

GeoS VW

Passed Driver's Ed
Until you get enough data points, everything is an anecdote, but it's all there is right now.

To be fair though, official automotive crash tests are done once only. I don’t think they crash multiple cars per crash type.