GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helmet vs. non helmet WITH airbags

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
There was a whole lot of yelling, name calling and other nonsense when someone posted a video of them on track while not wearing a helmet. I've been track driving and instructing on and off since 1998 and have never seen any technical study showing that helmets improve safety while driving a car equipped with airbags. There has been a lot of intelligent discussion, but I have yet to see any real data one way or the other.

I worked in the semiconductor industry and sold our parts to virtually every airbag manufacturer in the world. The specs on airbags are controlled to silly tolerances. As far as I know, none of them are calibrated to the driver or passenger wearing a helmet.

I'm not interested in anyone's opinion. They're a dime a dozen. Just a very simple question. Can anyone lead me to data that shows the benefit (or not) of wearing a helmet in a car equipped with modern airbags?

Not leaning one way or the other, just curious because I've found nothing.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
"DATE:November 16, 2004 FROM:National Staff TO: All Participants SUBJECT: Airbag Advisory It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbagrestraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a driver’s position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver’s chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full-face helmet can be so powerful “that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out“ (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999)."

It's been a while, but it looks like the regulations were changed around the use of full faced and closed face helmets due to Hubert Gramling's findings in the early oughts.

The conjecture (that you've asked to not read) is that if it was investigated and the data was indeed sorted through thoroughly, there must be clear benefits to wearing a not full faced or not closed face helmet, at the very least when compared to accident head injury data at similar speeds on the public roadways.

At the end of the day, an open faced helmet protects your head from accident impact damage from every other direction, which even a 10+ airbag car system still can't claim to do.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
The fact you're an instructor and are even contemplating the helmet thing is scary.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
A secondary impact, after the airbags have gone limp, from another car on course. How are airbags to provide any protection against that?

It seems no research needed. You would be hit with no airbags, and no helmet. That's bad.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Can anyone lead me to data that shows the benefit (or not) of wearing a helmet in a car equipped with modern airbags?

No.

Toronto Motorsports Park seems to be an outlier in not requiring helmets as the last time I recall this conversation surfacing in a forum, it revolved around their helmets optional policy.

All of the organizations I run with require helmets. Additionally, most of them require frontal head restraints (FHR, formerly known as HANS) in cars with 5 or 6 point restraint systems.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Haven't driven since it became Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, but I can confirm that when it was Mosport not every open track day required helmets.

Can confirm that Shannonville doesn't require helmets on every open track day.

All aboot the personal liberty, eh?

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Good topic!.
Now I am happy to have a full open face helmet... [emoji4] [emoji106]
Sub'd for more info...

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I don't think there is study on helmet vs non helmet because it's so asinine that people would ever think to drive on a track without one. I'd be surprised if there were any data out there on this topic.
There is data. Dead vs not dead.

AR11

Ready to race!
OP I feel a similar curiosity about reading any studies done (that's not to say I'm questioning the merit of helmet on track). If nothing else, its a nice dampener for the buffeting noise of the open windows. I'm sure the rules are in place largely due to requirements by the event's insurance providers.

AR11

Ready to race!
There is data. Dead vs not dead.

This is a fair point. The fact that there are fatalities are HPDE events definitely reminds that airbags aren't quite the invincibility code we might think they are.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
This is a fair point. The fact that there are fatalities are HPDE events definitely reminds that airbags aren't quite the invincibility code we might think they are.
I've known a couple guys who crashed in recent years and cracked several vertebrae + consussions safety equipment saved their lives.