GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello thread and any kind of "heads-up" appreciated

barryf1fan

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Picked up a 2017 Golf R on Monday and am really smitten with it so far. Coming from a pretty long ownership of a 2012 GTI 6MT that I bought new in Feb of 2012.
I'm fairly old and not really in to performance mods... don't kill me. :D

Anything to look for on this car (even though I already bought it) such as issues that plague the Mk7?
Anyway, here is the old ride and the new (to me) ride.

Love my GTI, but am quickly digging the R.

Thanks for looking in! (y)

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf R.
Looks super, especially with the Pretoria alloys. I've had mine for four years without any problems so far. Welcome to the forum!

barryf1fan

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thanks guys!! The car itself is in pretty great condition being a little over three years old - has a couple of very small chips. One on the front fascia and one on the roof, they are both tiny chips so it's okay. Going to get some touch up paint and I wouldn't expect a 3 year old car to have zero blemishes. Car needs a polish and clay bar treatment then a good wax job. I only average ~8k miles a year so should stay nice.

The interior is a 9.9/10. The driver seat has just the beginning of the slightest of wear on the entry side bolster. Everything else is pretty much perfect, no scratches on the "shiny" black stuff. :LOL:

I really contemplated the 7.5 facelift car (2018-On) but I actually prefer the "gauges" that are in the Mk 7. Don't get me wrong, the infotainment and "screen" for the gauges is cool and all - just actually prefer the gauges. Either would've been fine, but this was a pretty good price and I wanted a 6MT and it was a bit more difficult to find a 6MT in the 2018 & up. Plus, I wanted Lapiz Blue and there just aren't any 7.5 manuals in blue.

Thanks for commenting and appreciate the welcome. Looking to add the LED tails and the Euro light switch - did those on my GTI.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
People buy cars, are happy with them and the first thing they want to do is try and find issues.
Just enjoy your car and take car of whatever comes up when it does! HAHA ALL CARS HAVE ISSUES. The 7/7.5 are pretty solid.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Nice car! Same color here, except 7.5 and DSG. I came from a long line of manual GTIs. My last MK7 was really solid, and I was not very kind to it at times.

What were the miles on it? Just asking because I’m curious if had the various fluids serviced etc.

Also another older owner here (relatively speaking to most other owners I meet anyway). Kids are all out of the house etc.... :)

When I first got the R I was worried I’d be tempted to modify it beyond a couple appearance modifications, but I have been totally happy with the car as-is. I hardly drive now, so when I do drive the car it feels like a blast. So I too will mostly just be driving and enjoying it.

barryf1fan

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
People buy cars, are happy with them and the first thing they want to do is try and find issues.
Just enjoy your car and take car of whatever comes up when it does! HAHA ALL CARS HAVE ISSUES. The 7/7.5 are pretty solid.

I hear'ya Sean... I was curious about what things are common "issues", so not to be surprised when "it" rears it's ugly face. When I got the GTI back in Feb 2012 I had looked up all the issues with it (that engine mostly) like the water pump/housing leak and the intake manifold. I eventually had both those happen, albeit 7 years apart - and both got repaired under warranty or extended recall warranty. (y)
With this car I didn't really look up anything, just wanted it and can afford to get it now, back in 2012 I couldn't justify the cost difference for the Mk6 Golf R over the GTI.

I pray that this car will be as reliable and issue free as the GTI has been.

Nice car! Same color here, except 7.5 and DSG. I came from a long line of manual GTIs. My last MK7 was really solid, and I was not very kind to it at times.

What were the miles on it? Just asking because I’m curious if had the various fluids serviced etc.

Also another older owner here (relatively speaking to most other owners I meet anyway). Kids are all out of the house etc.... :)

When I first got the R I was worried I’d be tempted to modify it beyond a couple appearance modifications, but I have been totally happy with the car as-is. I hardly drive now, so when I do drive the car it feels like a blast. So I too will mostly just be driving and enjoying it.

Love this color, and may have snapped a 7.5 if I could've found a "blue" manual that wasn't 1000 miles away. :LOL:
It had 25,700 on the clock... I'll drive it for a month or two, by August, I'll do all the fluids bar the brake and tranny fluid. Put plugs and coil packs in and new filters - oil, air, & cabin.
I know they're a bit high but order all my maintenance stuff from DAP, and generally do the service interval a bit sooner than the 10k miles or 12 months. I enjoy doing most the maintenance and repair on the cars. I have an '84 Westy Vanagon and built up a '69 bug.

I'll be 50 later this month, one kid out and one getting read to get the boot. :ROFLMAO:

I like doing the appearance mods, like wheels (although I love the Pretorias) and tail lights - these cars are plenty fast for me, and just a joy to drive. If I wanted a fast car I would have a Corvette (had a 2011 LS3) Corvette or Mustang GT type car.

Thanks for looking in!!

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Sounds like you have a good plan of action!

And yeah, if my car had come with Pretoria's I would have not done wheels. I just... got unexplainably upset when I came out to the garage and saw the Englishtowns. I am happy they are up in the attic never to be seen again lol.