GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello everyone! Golf newb checking in.

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
The title says it all!

Hey everyone! I'm Travis, hailing from NC. Took possession of my first GTI on Memorial Day.

My previous car, a 2007 Mazda 3 had thrown a transmission error code. After learning that this is a common problem, I was faced with two options. Pay to get it fixed, or get a new car. A car that I've always wanted for some time now.

After exploring the first option in theory (possibly paying 300-400 and getting a 'temporary' fix on the car, and potentially having to pay more down the line for the transmission) I decided that it wasn't smart, plus I had just spent most of my savings fixing my fiance's car. So! I ended up getting a loan and looking for cars!

After going back and forth between a few options (Focus ST, Mazda 3 SGT, GTI, Mini Cooper S) and test driving some options as well (Focus, Mazda, and the GTI) I decided on the Volkswagen! I had a good deal on a CPO car, 17 night blue metallic GTI-S.

I was nervous of course (still am), what with this being my first manual car that I've actually driven and owned on a regular basis, but so far I love it! All the waiting was sooo worth it!

I did end up getting an extra warranty, just to put myself at ease. I heard that the MQB platform was extremely reliable (-sans turbo issue that was fixed, and as a result VW extended warranties on them out to 120K). I'm extremely happy with the purchase! I love the color, love the transmission, love the motor, and the car in general!

Aanywho, if this is in the wrong spot, moderators, please move it to the appropriate place. I searched around before I actually joined and I didn't really find a 'general discussion/introduce yourself/ thread already started, so..

But I'll be doing my best to post on here regularly.

Thanks, and hope to speak with you all more in the future!

Oh and if anyone is in the Winston Salem area, or surrounding, let me know if there are meetups happening anywhere, I'd love to attend and completely immerse myself into the VAG culture!

-Travis

Last edited:

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
Thought I had properly resized it in the first post, but here's a pic of the car!

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 156

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm envious! <g> Enjoy your new ride and stay safe.

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
Welcome!
I've got the exact same car but with DSG.

You know what they say about great minds, lol.

Honestly I was really reluctant to go buy this car, let alone test drive it. I was trying to vehemently avoid black, and all pictures online made it look black (most of them were ironically enough parked next to a blue car).

I got to the dealership and was pleasantly surprised!