GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix subwoofer/DSP and Focal IS VW 155 - do not recommend

overmonk

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick post for future me from down the rabbit hole:

Woofer specs: 2 ohm
Tweeter specs: 4 ohm

This kind of aligns. I know the tweeter pulled out of my A pillar was 4 ohms and everything I read prior to this process said the "speakers" were 2ohm. It never occurred to me it could be a mix.

I might need to email Focal.

Attachments

• ft_tw_vw.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • ft_is_vw_155.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 58

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I had the misfortune of installing the Focal speakers in the front on a previous VW that I had Helix sound box installed in and the subwoofer stopped working and the audio in general sound like poop. Was almost like the amp of the Helix went into some sort of protection mode or something. I had to put oem speakers back in. Definitely don’t try Helix box with aftermarket speakers. Definitely use Helix with the stock speakers and the correct program number to get the proper EQ
/timing settings.

I installed JL C1 speakers and tweeters in the front and rear after having the Helix for a while. Sounds ok to me but I think it needs a little EQ work.

overmonk

Passed Driver's Ed
The 'Focal Inside' setup grows on me more every day, but I'm already planning the subwoofer addition. I de-taped the Helix harness today to harvest the twisted pairs for purple and green. I'm going to use t-taps on the rear channel inputs somewhere in the Focal extension, and run power and the bass controller down the driver's side. For once I think I have all the stuff. Except the amplifier, the subwoofer/box, and the controller knob. It would not be fiscally responsible to do all of that at this time.

TOTALLY unrelated question - does anyone have any firsthand experience with AudioControl amplifiers? I have read they rate their power accurately, so I'm wondering if their 300W monoblock is truly 300W. That should be enough for a GTI, right? 300W and a 10"?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@overmonk From what I remember when doing some research a while back VW is doing something funky with resistors to present a 4 ohm load to the stereo despite what's stamped on the stock speakers. With my setup now I am using the the Helix harness (minus power) to feed an Audio Control D-4.800. The DSP tuning app is intuitive enough and I've had no issues with the amp side. It's driving all my door speakers, separate sub amp. To be fair I've never had any problem with amps from reputable companies though.

overmonk

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking at the ACM-1.300 to drive a low-profile Kicker sub/box while I figure out an underfloor solution. I say that like I don't have tracking numbers for everything. heh.

overmonk

Passed Driver's Ed
I lied about those tracking numbers of course. I totally had them.

I installed an AudioControl 1.300 yesterday, driving a Kicker CompRT 10" with a passive radiator. I also got the ACR-1 remote knob. Install was mostly easy; I found a really good video from Provo Beast or something that showed exactly where to push a coat hanger through the firewall, and that was the only part I was worried about really. I used 8ga OFC for power and ground, fused correctly (zip tied to the intake hose behind the clamp).

It was just yesterday, so impressions per usual are pretty fresh. I need to poke and tweak at all of the amp crossover settings, but overall - much better.

I'm still avoiding the urge to add it all up, but suffice it to say that with the right speakers in the doors, the Helix is a hell of a bargain.