GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox VW sound upgrade HELP!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
There is something​ to speakers breaking in and all that, but I think what's more likely is your brain/ears are familiarizing themselves with the system. This is the reason why studio engineers do their best work in their home base studios, with monitors they are familiar with. Anywhere else and you won't know the studio, speakers, etc. so you wont mix as accurately.

That's not to say it's not breaking in and sounding better, but solid state electronics don't really do that so the helix shouldn't change much if at all with hours on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hotfart

Ready to race!
That makes sense. So yeah, probably a bit of both, but mainly just familiarizing myself with the setup.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I installed Helix sub in my 2015 GTI and programmed it with a dongle, sound is awesome! Lots of deep rich bass...however today I scanned the car with obdeleven and found this fault.

It could have been an issue even before Helix was installed, anyway I'd like to know if anyone has seen similar issue and what the fix is?

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Update - it was a loose wire in the plug at the back of the Helix amp. This wire was feeding rear left speaker and it was very loose in the plug leaving the speaker with no signal. Made it tighter and speaker started working!

ABHORRANCE

And, let's face it, the sub itself is pretty underwhelming. I think it rolls off steeply at about 50 hz. It's doesn't really do kickdrums. But for what it is, it's pretty well-tuned....once you get it dongled.

What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to mostly thrash/death metal, metallic hardcore, rock, etc. So fast, kick response is important to me. I am really torn between getting the Helix box, or trying to get a JL PowerWedge 10" sub fitted beneath the hatch floor of my 2017 Golf Wolfsburg. The JL Box is only 4.5" deep, but 6.5" with the grille. The spare tire bolt is about 3/4 an inch too long, and would need to be cut to allow for the box to rest down-firing. The added sub also would not be adding any amplification or DSP to the cabin speakers.
(I put a similar setup with a Rockford Fosgate 10" in my 2013 Jetta SEL, and that's all it needed. However, the base sound in my Jetta is a lot fuller and warmer sounding than that of my Golf, which makes my Golf need an amp on the cabin speakers, unlike the Jetta).

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Maybe get a Helix and a hi/lo converter for JL sub. Main benefit of the Helix is the dsp which completely changed stock discover media MIB II in my 2017 jetta. The Helix sub is underwhelming because of the 50/40hz cut off, but some music mastered with lower frequencies really take advantage of the Helix sub and sounds pretty nice! I listen to some melodic hardcore sometimes and it usually sounds pretty good and can feel the Helix in the trunk of Jetta that emminates into main cab. You'll definetely feel the Helix sub in the Golf better since its in the cab with you compared to Jetta burried behind seats in spare wheel well.

Last edited:

ABHORRANCE

Thanks builttospill.
Has anyone taken a spectrum analysis of the Helix subs? If so, please share results. How low on the spectrum can the Helix sub reproduce? Lower than 50hz I hope (at least into the 40 Hz range).

I did an analysis of the 2017 Golf Wolfsburg base system. Door speakers are putting out a lot of muddy tone between 67hz and 100hz, strongest at 67, then sharply drops off. Mids are exaggerated at 750Hz (giving that in-a -shell sound). Not sure where the Helix DSP sets the crossover, though 80Hz is a common sweet spot or else subs get too much muddy, mid bass.

I also did an analysis of my 10" Rockford Fosgate in my 2013 Jetta, which has a largely consistent reproduction from 40-80Hz, ample 30Hz, and drops off at 25hz. The base sound is pretty flat across the board, which explains why it sounds better than the newer Golf base system, (hence merely adding a sub got the job done, where as the Golf really needs some DSP love).

kdub808

Ready to race!
Just installed my Helix subwoofer today. Instructions on YouTube made something I wouldn't have done on my own... possible. Took me about 2-3 hours as I went slowly trying to make sure I didn't break something. Hardest part really was feeding the cable behind dash and then my radio removal keys got stuck.

Sounds fantastic! I'm really happy with it and I really don't think mine needs programming. I'll know more as I test it with some reference songs that the stock speakers had trouble with.

Glad my videos helped [emoji4][emoji1360]

Now could someone please lend me the fuking dongle!? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Glad my videos helped [emoji4][emoji1360]

Now could someone please lend me the fuking dongle!? LOL

Your videos were money, bro. Thanks. [emoji1360]

My 9 year old son made me rewind the short when you touched the hot wires. He loved the super slow-mo and the troll face. :D

kdub808

Ready to race!
Your videos were money, bro. Thanks. [emoji1360]

My 9 year old son made me rewind the short when you touched the hot wires. He loved the super slow-mo and the troll face. :D

Ha ha! Awesome [emoji23][emoji1303]

I'm glad it entertained someone. Scared the sh|t out of me!