GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

zech912

Ready to race!
I also upgraded my front door woofers to Dayton Audio 6.5" last week, and have a video series on that install. What this gained for me is much better lows up front. No sign of problems with my Helix amp so far..
Is the video series available for view? Link?

5fry5

Has anyone done the Helix upgrade with the headunit behind the infotainment screen? I have a 2018 GTI S where it's located in the center as opposed to in the glove box. How would you run the wiring instead? Thanks.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Has anyone done the Helix upgrade with the headunit behind the infotainment screen? I have a 2018 GTI S where it's located in the center as opposed to in the glove box. How would you run the wiring instead? Thanks.
Same method, you just need to get the harness behind your head unit like in MK6 installs. The harness is long enough, you'll just end up with less slack in the rear of the car when it's all wrapped up.

5fry5

Same method, you just need to get the harness behind your head unit like in MK6 installs. The harness is long enough, you'll just end up with less slack in the rear of the car when it's all wrapped up.

When the headunit is in the glove box, you put the wiring under the panels adjacent the two passengers door and then run the wire directly behind the glove box. Do you go through the glove box to get to the center head unit(behind the screen)?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I just wish it were possible for an a/b test to be performed...
If the un-programmed Helix is just passing audio through without processing then it is sort of possible. Bought this for myself as a Christmas present. If the out of the box Helix is programmed for a vehicle (just not the 4 door Golf) then this would be an imperfect comparison, but probably as close as you can get without a programmer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200119-022001.jpg
    Screenshot_20200119-022001.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 196

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If the un-programmed Helix is just passing audio through without processing then it is sort of possible. Bought this for myself as a Christmas present. If the out of the box Helix is programmed for a vehicle (just not the 4 door Golf) then this would be an imperfect comparison, but probably as close as you can get without a programmer.
Unprogrammed is definitely not a pass through, it's affecting sound and moving stuff around for sure.

Edit: the demo switch will create a pass through with the Helix connected, as an A/B but that is not the same as unprogrammed and programmed without that switch.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Funniest part of about that jumper is this in the description... "A dealer visit is required to properly install the unit." Interesting, lol. I think I paid about $35 shipped for the dealer demo kit with the switch.

zech912

Ready to race!
He's got 5 parts for it, here's part one:

thank you snobrdrdan. disappointed, 2013R, they ran out of CDT FM-007, I bought three sets myself, they 're awesome. :) I do not entirely understand the point being made about ohms, although the testing and illustration of it was very interesting go me. but in any case, does not lower speaker ohms simply mean that more of the amp's power is in play? and since aftermarket speakers generally welcome more power, certainly unlikely to be endangered by it, why do you believe there is a downside?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
thank you snobrdrdan. disappointed, 2013R, they ran out of CDT FM-007, I bought three sets myself, they 're awesome. :) I do not entirely understand the point being made about ohms, although the testing and illustration of it was very interesting go me. but in any case, does not lower speaker ohms simply mean that more of the amp's power is in play? and since aftermarket speakers generally welcome more power, certainly unlikely to be endangered by it, why do you believe there is a downside?

of course there is a downside. it does mean more power if you go from a 4 ohm to a 2 ohm speaker. and the lower your ohms gets, the hotter your amp runs. and if you go too low in ohms, your amp either blows or goes into protect. But that is only half the problem. Passive circuits are designed with specific ohms in mind. You change the ohm rating of a factory speaker, you *could* be changing your slope, your rolloff, and your amplifiers sweet spot.

BTW, I removed my Helix 2 days ago, and sold it yesterday locally. I never liked it even from the beginning. the highs and mids sounded worse ever since I installed it. I am glad to have a normal sounding interior again where all music sounds good. The worst thing about the Helix is that it amplifies the interior speakers. Even without it, my speakers get just as loud, and I still can't go past half way, just like the Helix. the interior speakers need no amplification. all it needs is a subwoofer added, which would have been the perfect sound. I did not want to deal with figuring out how to acomplish that with my Helix harness, so i sold it on.

Shaunn

Car(s)
Golf Gti MK7.5
Good day All, new to the group. Slightly of current topic but your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Just pick up a 2nd hand Helix Sub with harness for Golf MK7 and intend fitting it myself due to dealers in South Africa not being able to help with sound installs. My only problem is that both the black and yellow wires on the harness do have the pins or the plug......... which I will be replacing. So I'm not sure which one goes back into the VW Radio plug and which one returns back to the Amp. I do have the Helix pin out diagram but it does not indicate. Please could you assist. I have attached the two pics. Thanks.

Attachments

• helixpinout.jpg
    helixpinout.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 172
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 162

Shaunn

Car(s)
Golf Gti MK7.5
Hi did look look at the videos, however they have the pins and plug on the four yellow and black wires on the harness which I'm missing so hence I don't know which of the yellow and black wires to allocate where.