GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

chamisool

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evolution 8, GTI SE
I just installed my Helix subwoofer and after reconnecting the battery to make sure everything is working, I get the following errors at startup:

Error: Electronic Stabilization Control (ECS)
Font Assist not available
Error: Tire Pressure Monitoring system

I followed the directions shown here and the YouTube clips shared on this thread but I'm not sure what is causing these to error out.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I just installed my Helix subwoofer and after reconnecting the battery to make sure everything is working, I get the following errors at startup:

Error: Electronic Stabilization Control (ECS)
Font Assist not available
Error: Tire Pressure Monitoring system

I followed the directions shown here and the YouTube clips shared on this thread but I'm not sure what is causing these to error out.
Start the car and turn your wheel lock to lock... Or drive a few yards, they'll all clear. It happens anytime battery is disconnected, normal.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I don't know if anyone knew this already but the bass is so much better with the rear seats fold down lol
I got new wheels the other day and had to put the rear down, hence the accidental upgrade :D

boston_chris

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Has anyone considered buying the PP62DSP that the helix amp is based on? I wonder if this would let you bypass the annoying sub-bass filtering the helix has. I guess it'd depend on if the filtering is done in the helix or the head unit.
I'm still due to upgrade my car speakers. The stock+helix sound is really bothering me lately - just so unbalanced and muddy.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is your helix programmed properly? It's using stock speakers and gets rough at high volume but unbalanced and muddy sounds like it's not programmed.

I think the PP62DSP has been discontinued for years. I wouldn't invest in one now. One option is to find a current amp/dsp and then buy a molex connector that lets you repurpose/use the helix harness. You'll have to run your own power/ground, assuming whatever you choose has more power than the helix.

But that way if you ever get rid of the car you can just throw the helix back in and get it some value out of it.

tristanr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
is there any benefit to upgrading the base stereo speakers and tweeters to Fender units in conjunction with Helix system?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

lowkeygti

Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
As far as I can tell theres only one other person on this thread that fitted the helix with a 2021 GTI SE MIB3 and discover media unit still in glovebox(non-cd/sd version). Any other success stories lol

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Has anyone upgraded the rest of their speakers while using the Helix system? What did you go with? Was it worth it?
I have the Helix sub and amp but am still using the stock speakers. While it sounds fine most of the time, I wish the door speakers were a bit louder/clearer when I have the windows down.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone upgraded the rest of their speakers while using the Helix system? What did you go with? Was it worth it?
I have the Helix sub and amp but am still using the stock speakers. While it sounds fine most of the time, I wish the door speakers were a bit louder/clearer when I have the windows down.
The helix system is designed around the stock speakers (dsp/eq/ta). I wouldn't recommended changing the speakers it will still be using the settings meant for the factory speakers, will sound off. Have you programmed the system with the helix dongle?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The above is true, and you for sure need to make sure it's programmed properly. But you can run aftermarket speakers with the Helix. I'll find the link, but there is a thread about it here somewhere.

I ran the Infinity coaxes mentioned in that thread. The sound was better than the stock speakers. Slightly at low volumes but very noticeable at high volumes. I don't listen at high volumes so I wouldn't recommend it to myself in retrospect but if you listen to your music loud it might be worth it. Just don't spend a ton of money on speakers to use with the Helix, as it will quickly become your limiting factor.

The coaxes might have been $125 for the pair. I could not in good faith recommend spending much more than that.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Audiotech Fischer I think which is Helix's parent company or something makes a set for the VW that pairs with it, or was said too. Think there was a thread on it here or on vortex.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I own a programming dongle and it's currently set to 57. I have tinnitus and listen to a lot of music to drown it out, which I think is the root of my problem. My first four cars didn't have A/C so I'm used to rolling down the windows. The roads here have pretty high speed limits compared to where I'm originally from so there's definitely more wind/road noise. It sounds great with the windows up. Maybe I just need to get in to the habit of using the A/C.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I have S trim, so no Fender, no Helix sub, so I bought a used one had it installed, then the rear set quit so I replaced them with JL C2 set. I can't tell the differences in sound, the biggest dif with the sub is fold down your rear seats lol

Slapdaddy

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI SE
Installed my Helix about a year ago and finally got around to programming it - bought a dongle on ebay because I could not get one from any dealership barring some sort of...."favor"...probably. Anyway, programmed to 57. I should probably preface this with stating that almost all of my music files come from hi-res 24/96+ FLAC or DSD and I convert them down to the maximum quality the car will play. I do have some 16/44 FLAC files and a few 320 Kbps MP3s in there as well. Sound quality does very much depend on the source file and more importantly the mastering of that song. I do consider myself an audiophile, just not so much for car audio any longer. :) All of my listening is inside where I have spent way, way too much money on headphones, DACs, amps, tubes, etc... lol

Before Programming:
  1. Timing. You could hear each speaker individually. It didn't sound bad at all, but basically like a head unit upgrade with stock speakers.
  2. EQ settings. I reset it before I flashed code 57, but before, my bass knob was maxed out, mids were at 75% and treble was at 45%.
  3. Muddy and weak bass, not tight at all, but can be boomy if the right frequency hits. Had to move the bass dial all the way up for the bass to be even remotely acceptable.
  4. Bright! Basically a treble factory - cold and shrill and definitely required me to mess with the EQ to adjust the sound to my liking.
  5. Mids were very much recessed, and even after an EQ adjustment, they were still recessed. Not warm at all.
  6. "Quality" and I say this with quotes due to lack of a better term. Certain frequencies seem to be buried and you'll miss some detail of some of the songs you'll play. Whether that be guitar strums or entire background instruments.
After Programming:
  1. Timing is definitely correct now and you wouldn't necessarily know it unless you've corrected for timing on another vehicle and know what it sounds like.
  2. Began with flat EQ settings. Huge difference at flat curve. The rest of my listening is relative to a flat EQ on the head unit.
  3. Bass tightens up quite a lot. Very punchy now, and very much less muddy. Still boomy where it needs to be but very much more controlled. Bass output seemingly increased by 5x with the programming.
  4. Whereas it was bright, now it is warm and the mids shine through everything. Sure, you can crank up the treble to your hearts content with the EQ. Treble actually sounds as if it's coming from the tweeters now if I were to try to source the sound.
  5. Like I said, very warm sound now. Midrange frequencies seem to be centered on the infotainment system screen, which is due to the timing correction.
  6. "Quality". Very much improved, and again, you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know for what you were listening. But in many songs, there are many background instruments that I just couldn't hear before and I knew they were there. Now this isn't perfect by any means and there is great room for improvement here, but for the price and considering these are stock speakers, its a hell of an upgrade.
As for soundstage, I really didn't notice a discernible difference between the two. Generally, before programming, the sound was weak unless I cranked up the volume at least halfway and at that point it was so loud, it was difficult to really figure anything out, except for the fact that I wanted to turn the volume down. After programming, the mids are focused on the infotainment system screen. So maybe a slight reduction in soundstage if you want to call that a reduction - it really isn't though. And finally, as for the distortion people are talking about. I never noticed any before, and haven't noticed any after. I've put the volume to 70% after programming and any louder I fear I will blow the subs and speakers, and my own ears. Like I said, generally before programming, the sound was weak and to get acceptable quality I had to turn the volume upwards of 60% to get decent quality. I hate distortion, so I do everything I can to avoid it, always.

So all in all its a great improvement and absolutely everyone that has a Helix should definitely have it programmed, sooner rather than later. No it isn't a $5000 audio upgrade, but for the $550 I paid total, for everything, it is well-worth the price and a no brainer. It punches well above it's price.