GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
How did you attach the mat to the surfaces?

I just cut pieces and press them by hand and burnish them lightly using the waxy paper backing and my fingernails-- running my fingernails over the waxy paper over the top of the mat material so that the paper glides over the mat so my fingernails aren't getting rubbed (if that makes sense). You're supposed to use a roller but the manual burnishing method works just fine. You just want to make sure that all the mat material is making contact with the metal, no air gaps over irregular shaped surfaces, etc. You don't really need to use force. Years later, none of them have come loose.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I just cut pieces and press them by hand and burnish them lightly using the waxy paper backing and my fingernails-- running my fingernails over the waxy paper over the top of the mat material so that the paper glides over the mat so my fingernails aren't getting rubbed (if that makes sense). You're supposed to use a roller but the manual burnishing method works just fine. You just want to make sure that all the mat material is making contact with the metal, no air gaps over irregular shaped surfaces, etc. You don't really need to use force. Years later, none of them have come loose.
Thanks. I didn't know it has a sticky backing.

axsys

Car(s)
2016 GTI
If I want to use the Helix amp without the subwoofer box, are there any issues running the amp by itself with no subwoofers plugged in? It won't create any faults or anything on the amp with it having no load on the sub channel?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If I want to use the Helix amp without the subwoofer box, are there any issues running the amp by itself with no subwoofers plugged in? It won't create any faults or anything on the amp with it having no load on the sub channel?
Nope, it will run just fine. I've run it like that at various times over the last couple years, never an issue.

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
Just did my install of the Helix over the weekend, and I have a persistent airbag warning light on my dash. I'm assuming this is because I reconnected the battery before plugging in the hazard/passenger airbag module between the vents, but since this is my first time making any modifications to the car I wanted to ask here and be sure. Did I goof, or is this just a code I need to clear out? If I just need to clear it, how do I do that?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Just did my install of the Helix over the weekend, and I have a persistent airbag warning light on my dash. I'm assuming this is because I reconnected the battery before plugging in the hazard/passenger airbag module between the vents, but since this is my first time making any modifications to the car I wanted to ask here and be sure. Did I goof, or is this just a code I need to clear out? If I just need to clear it, how do I do that?
You can clear it with OBDEleven of VCDS. Or the dealer can clear it. You might get lucky and they'll clear it for free if you just tell them you disconnected that light.

If they charge you I would think it's going to be about the same cost as OBDEleven, so that choice is clear, haha.

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
You can clear it with OBDEleven of VCDS. Or the dealer can clear it. You might get lucky and they'll clear it for free if you just tell them you disconnected that light.

If they charge you I would think it's going to be about the same cost as OBDEleven, so that choice is clear, haha.

Welp, looks like I know what my next purchase is. Thanks for letting me know!

rvenger

Car(s)
MK2 Tiguan
Hi, does anyone have the dongle I can rent? I just installed on my 2021 Tiguan with MIB3. Had this installed on my 2018 tiguan and don't remember this thing clipping at mid volume. Hoping a program will sort it out.

itsjonduhh

Car(s)
2021 GTI S
i had mine done at the dealer (under warranty, didn't tell them how it possibly could've happened) and they replaced the entire switch. probably broke while trying to release the connector because i didn't pay enough attention to the youtube video...

MK7_EV

Car(s)
2017 VW E-Golf
Well the amp install went pretty well, and the results were definitely what I was looking for! Took the sub strain off the amp, power the other speakers better and allowed me to turn up the bass to taste.

Right now the amp and wiring are semi temporary while I tweak everything.

20200614_145602 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Ran an 8 gauge power wire from the battery through the grommet in the firewall behind the battery and down the driver side (ran a remote turn on wire as well even though this amp doesn't need one). The Helix speakers are wired in series on the harness from the amp to the helix box (wired positive from one voice coil to the negative on the other, then wire the opposite positive and negative to the amp) so they are 4 ohms each, 2 ohms total to get the max 300 watts. Really not needed but it's clean power, the gain is set very low. Haven't tuned the accubass circuit to see if it adds anything. Not sure how low the helix really can play but I'll try playing some test tones to measure response.

20200614_145541_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I have 2 of the Tang Band drivers I linked previously on order to swap out this weekend to see if I can get a bit more thump out of those drivers. The Helix box size/design is nearly plug and play for those speakers and the excursion on those drivers should extend the low end down a bit. I've seen well designed boxes with these drivers get down in the low 30hz range f3.

I haven't yet but I will install bass blockers to the front door. The bass is very full now, but I don't need the doors playing 80hz kick drum hits. Yes, I would really love to have remote level/gain control, but for the sub $200 I spent on the amp, power wiring kit and other bits, it's hard to complain.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with the Helix kit. I purchased the kit when I bough a 2017 e-golf last year. Great kit, worth the money no doubt. However, I find the bass rather underpowered and I miss the low frequencies it seems to rolloff. So I bought the ACM 1.300 in the hopes it will get me where I want to be with the bass.

I plan to use pins 2, 3, 6, and 7 to carry signal to the ACM 1.300, but how did you connect back to the Helix sub connector? Did you connect all 8 wires by connecting two pairs on the sub connector to each pair coming from the ACM? I'm concerned if I only connect 4 of the wires I won't be connecting all 4 voice coils. I could also just replace the Helix sub, but I would rather not if the Helix sub can still get me to where I want to be.

*edit - I remembered that the 8" bazooka I have in my truck matches the ACM specs perfectly so worst case I can always bring that over. Comparing to that in my truck is part of why I'm not happy with the Helix as is, so that could be what I need.

Last edited:

MK7_EV

Car(s)
2017 VW E-Golf
@flipflp I reread the part about how you wired yours and did the same. Definitely had to turn the gain down! I do prefer the sound of the single 8" bazooka over the Helix 6.5s. I'll end up using the 8 or shopping for something else that fits the amp.