GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Are you actually in Phoenix? My understanding was that dynaudio wasn't available here in the states. In any case, the Helix DSP handles the amplification for your speakers so from a plug-and-play standpoint it is not compatible. If you wanted to do some wiring you could bypass your fender (or dynaudio) amp.Would be a good deal of work and probably not worth it.

Haven't read any comparisons of the systems side by side. It's best to think of the Helix as the fender/dynudio upgrade for people that didn't get it from the factory. My understanding is that those two systems give you more control than the Helix anyway (sound profiles, sub level control). The Helix is a huge upgrade from stock but it's also designed to work with stock speakers.

The Helix is a DSP but it's not user configurable in a way that will give you fine tuning of aftermarket speakers. Which is not to say aftermarket speakers won't sound good with all of these systems (some members here have upgraded speakers, you can search for the thread) but I can't see a scenario where it makes sense to side-grade between them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I am looking to make this Helix sub upgrade (along with Focal ES 130K speakers in front) on my 2018 SE but was discouraged by reading it is not compatible with Dynaudio. Does not the 2018 GTI SE have the Dynaudio system from factory? What am I hopefully misunderstanding?

edit: I was reading through the thread hoping to find a 2018 SE and encountered the post I quoted, now I see mctriple immediately prior also did this. So what does it mean when it says not compatible with Dynaudio please?

edit2: I also now see GTInj has some issues getting it to work right. related to Dynaudio?

edit3: I just encountered a VW listing that only lists the Helix as incompatible with the Fender, but I have seen them where, like the OP, it also lists the Dynaudio. Maybe that is a change in the 'B' version, made it compatible with Dynaudio?

The Helix upgrade is only compatible with the base (non-Fender) MIB1 and MIB2/3 stereos, not the Fender system. I wasn't aware of a Dynaudio system for our cars but some research shows it was only offered as an upgrade in Europe. Why do you bring up Dynaudio?

zech912

Ready to race!
Are you actually in Phoenix? My understanding was that dynaudio wasn't available here in the states. In any case, the Helix DSP handles the amplification for your speakers so from a plug-and-play standpoint it is not compatible. If you wanted to do some wiring you could bypass your fender (or dynaudio) amp.Would be a good deal of work and probably not worth it.

Haven't read any comparisons of the systems side by side. It's best to think of the Helix as the fender/dynudio upgrade for people that didn't get it from the factory. My understanding is that those two systems give you more control than the Helix anyway (sound profiles, sub level control). The Helix is a huge upgrade from stock but it's also designed to work with stock speakers.

The Helix is a DSP but it's not user configurable in a way that will give you fine tuning of aftermarket speakers. Which is not to say aftermarket speakers won't sound good with all of these systems (some members here have upgraded speakers, you can search for the thread) but I can't see a scenario where it makes sense to side-grade between them.

The Helix upgrade is only compatible with the base (non-Fender) MIB1 and MIB2/3 stereos, not the Fender system. I wasn't aware of a Dynaudio system for our cars but some research shows it was only offered as an upgrade in Europe. Why do you bring up Dynaudio?

I am not sure now where I got that idea! I was completely mistaken, I thought SE had Dynaudio and Autobahn had Fender. I read or watched this or something similar, it must have been from UK or AU. Thank you very much for your responses, puts my mind at ease, Helix is it for me. Thank you both for the corrections and insights.

zech912

Ready to race!
Which is not to say aftermarket speakers won't sound good with all of these systems but I can't see a scenario where it makes sense to side-grade between them.

cuzoe, what do you mean by “side grade between them” please? My idea is is to have the Helix, and then just upgrade the front door speakers and a-pillar tweeters, perhaps have a small amp powering just them. The Focals I got are direct size replacement for doors and tweeters are nearly so, and i believe they could run without a dedicated amp, not sure if Helix dsp strengthens the signal to them or not. but anyway, I do not know what you mean by “side grade” in this context because the Focal ES would be a significant improvement over stock so I want to be sure I am not misunderstanding your point.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I meant side-grade between the Helix and Fender/Dynaudio (whichever you have). Those speakers will be an upgrade over anything that came from the factory (base radio or Fender/Dynaudio) for sure.

I was just saying that since you plan on installing upgraded speakers you wouldn't gain anything by switching to the Helix if you already have Fender/Dynaudio. You would in fact lose some tuning capability, the Helix only gives you bass, mid and treble sliders. The premium audio options give you sound profiles and sub level control.

zech912

Ready to race!
I meant side-grade between the Helix and Fender/Dynaudio (whichever you have). Those speakers will be an upgrade over anything that came from the factory (base radio or Fender/Dynaudio) for sure.

I was just saying that since you plan on installing upgraded speakers you wouldn't gain anything by switching to the Helix if you already have Fender/Dynaudio. You would in fact lose some tuning capability, the Helix only gives you bass, mid and treble sliders. The premium audio options give you sound profiles and sub level control.

thank you very much. I understand now.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
thank you very much. I understand now.

No problem. The Helix does provide amplification for the door speakers, ~50W @ 2 ohms and 35W @ 4ohms (these are Helix PP50DSP specs, the VW Helix seems to be based on this DSP).

If this isn't enough for the Focals then as you said, run the Helix outputs to speaker level inputs on the amp you choose, keeping the equalization done by the Helix.

I have a set of Infinity components to install in my front doors. Chosen based on other forum member experience. I'm using the Helix to power the speakers. I used the Helix sub-out to my own amp/sub setup though. I wanted more bass and bass level control.

zech912

Ready to race!
No problem. The Helix does provide amplification for the door speakers, ~50W @ 2 ohms and 35W @ 4ohms (these are Helix PP50DSP specs, the VW Helix seems to be based on this DSP).

If this isn't enough for the Focals then as you said, run the Helix outputs to speaker level inputs on the amp you choose, keeping the equalization done by the Helix.

I have a set of Infinity components to install in my front doors. Chosen based on other forum member experience. I'm using the Helix to power the speakers. I used the Helix sub-out to my own amp/sub setup though. I wanted more bass and bass level control.

I believe the Helix will be enough for the Focals based on these specs. This Helix seems ideal to me, a brilliant option along with upgraded components. I have a high end SQ system in my other car, do not have the funds to do that twice, but for about $1000.00, this should be awesome. The instructions and info in this thread are tremendous.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've read several comments over the years that dispute Volkswagen's claim that the Helix system is "pre-programmed" for the Mk7 Golf/GTI/R. Most seem to hear a difference as soon as they're flashed.

I've had a Helix programming dongle for a while. I was already programmed when I acquired it. So it had sat unused for several months. I finally used it today to flash a new Helix installation. Others have reported that their programmer, including the one that's been rented and passed around North America, always reads whatever it was set to when it flashed the previous car. I confirmed that when I received the rental dongle from someone who had flashed their wagon with it.

My brand new programmer read "57" as soon as the stereo booted. It appears that Mk7 Golf/GTI/R ("57") is the default setting for the dongle, not the DSP. Back to flashing the new Helix system, I was behind the car accessing the sub, but had the owner sit in front to see if he could hear a difference when I flashed the module. He heard an immediate change and I heard the bass pickup. So flashing any car WILL make a difference.

Just thought I'd share my experience here.

PFA...

15S3

Ready to race!
Where are folks buying the helix sub and what are you paying. A quick google search for this part # (000051419B) comes back with a rather limited number of hits (6 or so) with prices ranging from around $450 to $600. I thought I saw some posts in here with prices more like in the $220 - $250 range.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Where are folks buying the helix sub and what are you paying. A quick google search for this part # (000051419B) comes back with a rather limited number of hits (6 or so) with prices ranging from around $450 to $600. I thought I saw some posts in here with prices more like in the $220 - $250 range.

It WAS in the $250 range when VW clearance'd the original 000051419 version out a couple years ago now.
THEN the 000051419B version was released and has been at the higher price since

thegman

I just purchased the Helix Soundbox kit #000051419B for $479.20 + $20 shipping from <https://www.shopdap.com/spare-tire-mounted-sub-woofer-amp-box.html>

I searched high and low and this was the best price on the latest model subwoofer that I could find. I received it quickly and installed it today and...WOW!! What an very noticeable improvement to a pretty good stock sound system and I'm now waiting in line for the programming dongle to complete the job.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Just wait until you get it programmed, for me that was a bigger difference than stock to Helix. You might be wowed again.