GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Sound upgrade dongle official rental thread!

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Going out on a limb here... my understanding is that the dongle contains an SD card. Is there any chance one of you kind gentleman could load that card into their computer and send me the contents in a zip file? I'm a perpetual hardware hacker and I've been studying the soundbox. I think I know what's on the SD card based on my research, but I'd like to take a gander at it to confirm my theory if any one of you would be so kind to send it.

Awesum

Going out on a limb here... my understanding is that the dongle contains an SD card. Is there any chance one of you kind gentleman could load that card into their computer and send me the contents in a zip file? I'm a perpetual hardware hacker and I've been studying the soundbox. I think I know what's on the SD card based on my research, but I'd like to take a gander at it to confirm my theory if any one of you would be so kind to send it.
You can download it from here:
http://www.volkswagen-accessories.com/en/product-ranges/infotainment/soundsystem.html

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST

I think we were thinking the same thing :D
I'm pretty sure we could just "program" this thing without the dongle with SD. Curious about your research.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
You can download it from here:
http://www.volkswagen-accessories.com/en/product-ranges/infotainment/soundsystem.html

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately those are windows only executables (likely some sort of formatting tool bundled with the presets on the sd card). I don't currently have a windows machine handy. My suspicion is that the card itself contains an array of files that are readable, and modifiable, by Helix's stock software.

I think we were thinking the same thing
I'm pretty sure we could just "program" this thing without the dongle with SD. Curious about your research.

I ordered my soundbox yesterday from the dealer. I'm debating on whether or not to buy the dongle in an attempt to figure out how it works. The Match amp that this is based on has both an SD slot and a usb port. I plan to take my soundbox amp apart and see what exactly this interface is. It looks like a standard rj-45 port so I suspect the pinouts are either SD or USB the dongle is just a dumb terminal emulating either one of these signals momentarily. I suspect I could emulate it with a rasberry pi or arduino.

What is the current status on the dongles whereabouts? If I could possibly get an ETA of when I could get it, this will help me decide whether to wait for it or just buy one now.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Whoever needs it next, please send me a PM. Thank you!

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
So this is interesting. I've had my helix installed for a few days now but just finally got my dongle in the mail (bought one on ebay). On top of the dongle they included the dealer "demo switch" which allows you to easily toggle back and forth between a complete stock system and the upgraded system with amp/dsp/sub.

Holy shit the difference between the two is amazing. I tried to take a few videos to show the A/B difference but it's just not possible to capture on a phone. I'm going to see if can borrow one of our fancy Tascam binaural mic setups from work to see I can properly record what it sounds like to be in the drivers seat. I'll be getting 15% rebate back from VW for my soundbox so I spent about $400 total for this thing. It would take well over $1k + labor to beat this thing.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
So this is interesting. I've had my helix installed for a few days now but just finally got my dongle in the mail (bought one on ebay). On top of the dongle they included the dealer "demo switch" which allows you to easily toggle back and forth between a complete stock system and the upgraded system with amp/dsp/sub.

Holy shit the difference between the two is amazing. I tried to take a few videos to show the A/B difference but it's just not possible to capture on a phone. I'm going to see if can borrow one of our fancy Tascam binaural mic setups from work to see I can properly record what it sounds like to be in the drivers seat. I'll be getting 15% rebate back from VW for my soundbox so I spent about $400 total for this thing. It would take well over $1k + labor to beat this thing.

Can you share the ebay ad/seller? This sounds like a great deal!

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Seller iqjump123. I'm not sure if they have anymore. I only bought because I'm curious to take it apart and see how it works (I started on it last night). Renting the dongle in this thread makes more financial sense if you only want to program your helix once and then move on.

suneohair1

Passed Driver's Ed
Seller iqjump123. I'm not sure if they have anymore. I only bought because I'm curious to take it apart and see how it works (I started on it last night). Renting the dongle in this thread makes more financial sense if you only want to program your helix once and then move on.

It would be neat to get one of the A/B testers into the rotation. When I eventually get a Helix (and a GTI for that matter), I will do just that.