GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Sound upgrade dongle official rental thread!

buddahbus

I am in the SLC Utah area if any one before or after me wants to meet up with me send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funkmasterbrad

I recall reading that the "clip" is for use in right-hand drive cars. I think its use reverses the contouring (left-right) to account for the driver on the other side of the car.

Wow! Thanks, the stupid dealership I took it to get it flashed said it didn't need to be, and it just needs the clip added. Oh well. I'm in line here now to get the dongle!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Removed Eric from list, 72 hours no answer.
Refunded Flip 35.

Next up is NRK and Dave. If no answer I will move on to RunHop.

nrk112

I think it was ECS that had info on their page for the Helix that it was pre-programmed for a 4-Door Golf (they didn't say "code 57" specifically). I wonder how they came to that conclusion (as wrong as it is)?

Its actually the official information from VW. ECS probably copied it.

"The soundbox DSP default setting is Golf, GTI, and Golf R MK7 hatchback models. No programming is necessary for these models."

https://parts.vw.com/p/Spare-Tire-Mount-Subwoofer--Soundbox/53859989/000051419.html

I think it was in the instructions somewhere as well. Don't remember.

Anyway mostly posting to say I just paid for the rental.

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
I programmed mine yesterday, and can echo what others have said. There's a night and day difference between the unprogrammed and programmed soundbox. Specifically, bass is much more pronounced and the overall staging is much improved.

On another note, I'm astonished at how little VW dealers seem to know about this product. I called three in the Atlanta area to try to schedule the programming. Two had no idea what I was talking about and the third said that I would have to pay $170 for the dongle. I am grateful to wy2sl0 for making his available and to GolfUnV for graciously offering to let me use it before shipping it to the next user.

windsurfer86

Hello pglendinning, I too have the SportWagen. Can you confirm if you used the Setup Number 60 for your vehicle (assuming this matches the Golf7 Estate)? I've also run into difficulty with dealer service and parts departments even knowing about the dongle. Glad you're enjoying the update!

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, I used the code 60, on the assumption that the Estate and the SportWagen are the same vehicle, as seems to be the case.

Hello pglendinning, I too have the SportWagen. Can you confirm if you used the Setup Number 60 for your vehicle (assuming this matches the Golf7 Estate)? I've also run into difficulty with dealer service and parts departments even knowing about the dongle. Glad you're enjoying the update!

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
That's a good theory as well! We might be able to test that because not everyone on the list is in a 4-door Golf.

I tested it with pglendinning (Erich), stop by and program his GSW on Monday. He used code 60. and once he was done i plugged it to code my amp, and it displayed coed 60. So I can confirm amps are not "pre-programed to code 57."

On the side note, i will drop the dongle at the post office, later this afternoon.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I tested it with pglendinning (Erich), stop by and program his GSW on Monday. He used code 60. and once he was done i plugged it to code my amp, and it displayed coed 60. So I can confirm amps are not "pre-programed to code 57."

Much more than confirming the amps are not pre-programmed, it is in support of what was said previously about the dongle having memory for the last code programmed. That would be why after reinitializing, assuming you removed and reinserted the SD card (its in the instructions, not sure how critical a step) it read 60 and not 57.

Not at all surprised the information VW has about this unit is incorrect, goes right in line with dealerships having no information about it either. At least the instructions were written correctly!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
My dongle came in and I just started to rent it on the mk7 FB group. I shipped it out yesterday to the first person. There is a list of 6 currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk