GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Sound upgrade dongle official rental thread!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Received the dongle this morning and just programmed now. The hype is real people, unprogrammed sounds NOTHING like programmed and everything is improved after programming. Bass is deeper and harder hitting (mirror moves now, wouldn't before on similar songs and volumes) and the sound stage is back to it's tight, cohesive self.

Just a note from the installation instructions, you plug the unit in to the helix first without the SD Card installed. At that point, the dongle says 00 or unprogrammed. That is it, the units are not preprogrammed. End of discussion there.

Now why when you install the SD card does it default to 57 on the display, that's something we can debate all day but my guess is that is just what they set as the "default" code to display first. There is a good chance it's because it's the highest volume model/code, or it could just be that 57 is a cool number.

Either way, I think we can put that discussion to bed.

Dongle is shipping out today to the next in line!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Updated main post. Thanks Flip! :)

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Now why when you install the SD card does it default to 57 on the display, that's something we can debate all day but my guess is that is just what they set as the "default" code to display first. There is a good chance it's because it's the highest volume model/code, or it could just be that 57 is a cool number.

My theory, is it displays program code that was used last. So if person before you used code 36, it would read 36 when you plug it in. So it has to do whit dongle memory, rather then DSP programming.
I should be able to ship this out on Monday, to the next person, if it is in fact delivered tomorrow.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Anyone near or in WI that is on the list? Maybe we could split the rental and shipping?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hey flipflp, did you also flatten the eq before the programming or is that not necessary?

It's definitely not needed to be done before programming, there is no communication between the MIB unit and the Helix DSP, only speaker level is sent.

I did zero it after programming so I could feel out how it was tuned, so far I think it's pretty damn correct to my ears. I usually scoop a bit of "mid" out on factory stereos to clean up the highs and remove some of the "horn" frequencies but I'm happy with everything set flat for now. My fader is also set to middle, and I usually have it forward a bit.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
My theory, is it displays program code that was used last. So if person before you used code 36, it would read 36 when you plug it in. So it has to do whit dongle memory, rather then DSP programming.
I should be able to ship this out on Monday, to the next person, if it is in fact delivered tomorrow.

That's a good theory as well! We might be able to test that because not everyone on the list is in a 4-door Golf.

I think it was ECS that had info on their page for the Helix that it was pre-programmed for a 4-Door Golf (they didn't say "code 57" specifically). I wonder how they came to that conclusion (as wrong as it is)?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Anyone near or in WI that is on the list? Maybe we could split the rental and shipping?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Would anyone else go for noting your closest major city and state on the first post when you're on the list? It's getting fairly long at this point and if a few programmings can be knocked out in a Taco Bell parking lot or something that would definitely shorten the list quick, and limit the number of times it's flying around the country haha.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
In Lawrence, KS here (Between Kansas City and Topeka). PM me if you're within maybe 100 miles or so, and possibly we can work something out.

Chances are slim that anyone on the list is close enough to me, and we'd have to coordinate meeting same-day since we need to keep the dongle moving down the list (it wouldn't be fair to hold up the others on the list!). That might be a challenge, especially if it arrives on a weekday. In any case, it doesn't hurt to put a feeler out there.

1fastminivan

Received the dongle this morning and just programmed now. The hype is real people, unprogrammed sounds NOTHING like programmed and everything is improved after programming. Bass is deeper and harder hitting (mirror moves now, wouldn't before on similar songs and volumes) and the sound stage is back to it's tight, cohesive self.

Just a note from the installation instructions, you plug the unit in to the helix first without the SD Card installed. At that point, the dongle says 00 or unprogrammed. That is it, the units are not preprogrammed. End of discussion there.

Have you by chance compared to the Fender and yours after the dongle change? I got to listen to my friends stock fender 17' GTI and the bass in it hits lower frequencies than my current Helix sub that hasn't been programmed yet (waiting/hoping to get on the list here for the dongle). Mine currently sounds "good" to me but it doesn't hit the lows like the fender on my friends car. I can get my bass pretty loud and it does get pretty loud on some music but the bass currently hits hard and loud on more "higher" pitched bass if that makes sense? On his the fender hits beautiful low frequencies (I am into home audio and the lows compare to my home theater sub). Its not boomy on his , its perfect. On mine currently (again, not programmed yet) sounds loud and boomy. I'm hoping this dongle will clean that up a bit.

funkmasterbrad

I've got mine installed, and pm'd my info! Can't wait to hear the difference.

One thing, did you guys plug in that small 'telephone jack' clip into the amp? I did, but aren't sure what it does.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I have a zillion PM's so please bare with me if I have missed someone. List has been updated, Bucktown moved down from next spot as requested as he has not installed yet.
The local idea is good. Feel free to post your location here if you are on the list and I will update the OP.