Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
image6.png

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yes, no real overload on the stock alternator.
That’s incredible. I’m honestly impressed the stock alternator is actually doing well! 1.28kw isn’t very large. But with consistent top offs, it’ll definitely be enough for regular usage. Gluck at the field day! Hopefully the system gets stressed enough for the sake of further improvement! Plz let us know how it goes?
I agree that 1.28 kW is not large for an RV or vanlife setup. But it is more than sufficient for my needs. It'll run my fridge for a few days if I don't drive at all. It'll charge from completely dead to full in about five hours of driving, which is easy during a road trip. If I'm running the freezer, then the endurance drops substantially to about 8-12 hours, depending on the season. I use the freezer for grocery store trips and then return to reefer mode if I need to transport perishables. More often, though, I just have things that I want chilled instead of cold. In those cases, 50*F is fine and the battery lasts a good bit at that setting. It's a weekend "need," if I'm honest.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes, no real overload on the stock alternator.

I agree that 1.28 kW is not large for an RV or vanlife setup. But it is more than sufficient for my needs. It'll run my fridge for a few days if I don't drive at all. It'll charge from completely dead to full in about five hours of driving, which is easy during a road trip. If I'm running the freezer, then the endurance drops substantially to about 8-12 hours, depending on the season. I use the freezer for grocery store trips and then return to reefer mode if I need to transport perishables. More often, though, I just have things that I want chilled instead of cold. In those cases, 50*F is fine and the battery lasts a good bit at that setting. It's a weekend "need," if I'm honest.
That’s even more impressive. Dang!

I remember these old bass contests. Folks used to run these ambulance alternators. Not sure about the details if I can be honest. But the sheer amount of volume and bass these vehicles used to put out was just insane!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've decided to dive into VHF contesting. As such, I've returned my old FT-857D to the car and now have five transceivers available for use. The best performance in these events is usually had by those working with horizontally polarized antennas. So, I've added one for each of the two bands that I'll work this weekend, 50 and 144 MHz...

As you can see, the two mast-mounted antennas are horizontal, vice the black vertical whip. I think they'll accept 500 watts, which is more than I'll ever put into them. I have the mast bolted through a plank of wood that's held to the rack with T-bolts...

I may replace the wood with HDPE for superior weather resistance. I just need to research whether a 3/4" thick piece is at least as strong as the 3/4" wood. I think it may be since it's said to be good for livestock enclosures. My temporary feed lines enter through the window, which is sealed with a piece of pipe insulation...

I'm not planning an extraordinary effort for my first contest. I just want to get my feet wet, learn the ropes, and develop a workflow for making contacts, logging them, and moving between the different grid squares for more points. This is a practice run for the bigger event in September. I hope to have beams on the roof for that one. I will enter in the "Limited Rover" category, which operates on 50, 144, 222, and 432 MHz. Here's the start of my "micro tower" for the roof...

I'll share that product when it's finished. Today, I took a sunrise drive with everything mounted so that I could test for noise and performance...

Yes, it's insane on a GTI! But it's what I love to drive and all I have. HAHA! None of this is permanent. It is mounted "as needed" only. Still, I'm planning to bring this to EuroFest in Maggie Valley as part of my expanding communications exhibit. Come see it in person!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I finished the "front end" of my FT-857D installation. Here's a "kitchen sink" photo with almost everything:

This photo shows an additional monitor and my "dual-FT8" setup. I still need to find a home for my antenna rotator controller. I still have plenty of time before September's VHF contest.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The updates never stop! My roof rack mounted antenna module shown above has grown a little. I use the horizontal antennas more often than I thought I would; so, I've opted to leave my rack mounted full time. The rack gives more space for even more antennas. Here's what I have now: :oops:

There are NINE antennas mounted, which cover a wide variety of frequencies.

Later, I decided to overhaul the electronics panel to make room for even more equipment. An honest assessment of my music listening habits compelled me to remove my 500W Rockford Fosgate setup and return the Helix subwoofer to the car. I have a historical write-up of the 500W setup here. Removing the large sub box freed a LOT of space in my trunk. Here's a "before" photo...

Here is "during" the overhaul...

I added sound-deadening material to the trunk floor and rear panel while everything was removed...

Here's a test-fit of the new electronics panel...

Finding homes for the major parts. Look closely and you'll see that I traced the location of the spare tire and the tub. The difference represents empty space where I can put coaxial feed lines, diplexers, and remote RF switches. The square holes are for coaxial feed lines to pass through to hide under the panel...

After carpet and mounting the main transceivers...

Here's the completion of "Phase 2" with 12V and data cables ran on top with coaxial feed lines going through the holes to beneath...

I moved the 12V distribution to beneath the door that's behind the driver's seat...

See a full write-up with more details here.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I love the "during" pictures. That's always the time when my wife happens to take interest and come see what I'm doing... immediately loses interest!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My new compact 6m/2m SSB Yagi setup (~3 dBd).

It's easier to install/remove; plus, it's more road-friendly since it's 3ft shorter and can travel while turned sideways for a narrower aspect. I can even fit it through my favorite drive-thru! 😜

I'm taking it to Baltimore this weekend for a Parks on the Air activation with a group of other hams. They asked me to bring a VHF setup. This will be my first time working POTA on VHF. 😎

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Time for an update:

I had been watching the roof rack for signs of damage from the rooftop tower. I spotted very small variances in the rack tower mating area. Removal, disassembly, and inspection revealed small deformations within the internal components of the rack. While the tower and antennas are within the weight limits of the roof and rack, the tall load was leveraging too much stress on the rack. I've shared some details HERE.

I have since moved the tower to my existing "baby trailer."

Road testing has gone well and I expect everything to be ready for an event in January. Besides removing a topside load from the car, this setup is also much faster to setup/teardown since it can be done with a simple uncoupling of the trailer. The trailer is light; so, I carry 300 lbs of sand ballast to smooth the ride, bias the tongue weight properly, and prevent the trailer from tipping in some turns or intersections.

Here's a few more photos, as well as updated shots of my equipment...

When the trailer is left at home, which is almost always...

A recent road trip with only six vertical antennas mounted. 😜

If you didn't see it elsewhere, my car has over 200,000 miles now. 😎