GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix + Rockford Fosgate + Ham Radio

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Thanks!

Coincidentally, I changed to a black antenna base today:

I like it better. Someone asked if it was a magnetic mount. I guess it looks like one... just with no wire. :)

Scott

Awesome antenna install, very clean. As I'm sure you know, another nice thing about NMO is that you can change antennas relatively easily. I have an NMO setup on the back of my snowmobile--I use a relatively compact (and out of the way!) antenna for daily putt'n around and a larger, better propagating one if I need or want better signal. That's just a VHF/UHF setup though.

Question--did you have to completely drop the headliner to install that? Or were you able to get enough access working with it still mostly in place.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks!

Yes, I can swap on my 1/2-wave or my 7/8-wave antennas. I even have provisions in place to plug in my FT-857D and use an adapter to mount an ATAS-120A screwdriver antenna. I doubt I'll ever do it... but I could. ;)

Regarding the headliner, I only removed the rear trim and C-pillar pieces. Working with only the last 12 inches of headliner was a bit of a challenge, but it worked. I had my daughter help since she's short enough to sit in the back and still tall enough to still reach everything while I flexed the headliner out of her way. Here's the underside of the antenna:

We had to use a stubby screwdriver since we couldn't get enough headliner down to use a longer driver.

Scott

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Np and thanks for the extra info. Glad to hear you didn't have to drop the headliner completely. I just swapped out a bad headliner in my gf's MkV Jetta and wouldn't want to do it again any time soon lol.

I'm probably not quite ready to start on a ham setup in my Mk7 but sooner or later I'll get there. In the meantime I've got an ID-51 unit and a car charger lol.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

I've made some changes. I felt my setup with too boomy around 50-70 Hz and that a graphic equalizer would help. I bought one that I thought would fit, but didn't account for wiring paths. Not wanting to give up the plan, I then made a move to a higher-quality amplifier that's about half the size of my outgoing unit. I decided to remove the LC2i and let the EQL handle the speaker-level inputs. Everything is installed and sounds great! I have a write-up at https://stealthgti.com/2017/03/11/subwoofer-changes/. Here are some photos:

I'm still awaiting a "long" right-angle RCA coupler to finish up the wire routing. Functionally, it's finished! I'm really happy with this! :)

Take Care,

Scott

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Showoff! :p But seriously, that is nice work and a great point of reference for the rest of us.

So, uh, send me the blueprints so I can start copying your setup (sans the ham gear). I would love to be able to put my spare back where it belongs and have better sound.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
HAHA!

Thanks! Unfortunately, there's no blueprint. I took some initial measurements, made my first cuts, and then used a jigsaw to cut away interference sections until the bottom fit in the trunk where I wanted it. Here's that piece before I added a few inches to the front:

From there, I just started building. The lack of a blueprint may be why the first box didn't fit as planned. HAHA! MDF is cheap... so I pressed-on.

I cannot recall if I've shared that all of the connections (power, data, signal, RF, etc) are quick-release so that I can remove the panel completely when needed (track days?). The exceptions are two 4-gauge wires, but they disconnect within minutes using a crescent wrench (and after first removing the fuse near the battery):

The only detail that doesn't please me is my use of brass-colored screws. But I eventually found some black screws and hope to have them next week. Then I'll go through this panel and replace each screw, one-by-one, until they're all black. I guess I'm OCD that way. :rolleyes:

Had I not opted for the ham radio, inverter, or sophisticated power distribution, I probably could have made a box with enough volume to support a 12-inch subwoofer. But I'm still happy enough with the 10 that I don't think I'll make a switch.

Perhaps we'll meet someday and you'll be able to hear it for yourself. :cool:

Scott

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Hello,

Today I took some photos with each of my antennas mounted: From left to right - Least obnoxious/effective to most obnoxious/effective. :p

CLICK HERE for a larger view... I'd have to be really intent on high-performance comms before I'd drive around with that big thing on the car. :eek:

Scott

I'm not sure what to make of the one on the right. Looks like a radio controlled car :p

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

As mentioned above, I finally replaced all of the brass-colored screws with flat black ones. It's cosmetic only, but looks much better. Here's the panel removed and ready for the screw exchange...

And here it is with the black screws...

I'm planning to attend BugOut 80 this weekend and will probably clean it up for show. Stop by and say hello if you're in the area...

Scott

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It's been a while since I updated this thread. Related to the Helix, Rockford Fosgate, and Ham Radio, here's what I've been up to:

1) Upgraded to an 8-inch display... (details HERE) :)

2) I didn't mention it specifically earlier in the thread (hinted, though), but I upgraded to a T1S1 subwoofer, which allows me to get the full 500 watts from my amp. I probably don't even use half of that power most of the time, but it's cool to have for demonstrations. :cool:

3) I got my hands on a Helix "dealer-only" demo switch. It's a gimmick that stays in the "Helix" position 99% of the time. But it renewed my satisfaction with Helix when I put the switch into "Original" and heard how the base stereo sounded when stock... :eek:

4) I have a dongle. It was sort of an impulse buy. I don't rent it or loan it out. But I'm happy to flash anyone who's able to come to Yorktown, VA...

5) I've been quietly testing a D-Dock. I wasn't sure if I'd like not having my smartphone mounted high since that's how I've driven for over 10 years. I decided to commit to the setup and made some changes...

I broke a tab, so I need to wait for some glue to dry before sharing the rest. But I'll say that embracing the D-Dock meant that I had to move my ham radio display from the console door. I think I like its functionality on the smartphone's old ProClip mount... visibility is certainly better! I had to tear apart the dash (again) to remove the phone's USB cable and reroute the ham display's data cable. I can't believe I did it without cutting up my hands! I must be getting better at this! HAHA!

Scott

Swoope

Ready to race!
where in yorktown are you? i grew up there, and my parents live on the creek that the reservoir flows into.

beers