GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix harness part #?

xcidmigs

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO
Managed to score a almost complete unit from ebay however they of course chopped the wire harness end going forward. Can't seem to find just a part # for that in any install threads, has to be available right?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've never seen a part number for it, not to say it's not out there. But consider that VW doesn't sell any of the other helix pieces individually, so why the harness?

We know what we could use the harness for, and I use it now to feed my amp/dsp... bought the mating plug and made a pigtail so my helix harness is unmolested... It's awesome! But there's no reason VW would care about making that possible.

With the exceedingly small potential customer group it would either be priced so high no one would buy it or priced so low that VW would lose money. Better for them to sell the helix kit, with it's markup though I imagine it's probably almost break even now.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nice find, didn't even think of looking for the MATCH branded cable. Although for me that falls into the "priced so high no would buy it" category, haha.

xcidmigs

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO
Wow Cuzoe thanks for the help there...
Anyone have any help on the end that plugs into the radio itself? I have an S model and the plug the goes to the amp with 12" wire I could obviously make my own harness if I know the terminals need to plug into what?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would buy a "VW quad lock" extension harness and chop that to make my own version of the helix/match cable. You won't need to source any separate pins terminals, it will plug into your radio and into the car, and should be completely reversible.

I'll make and post a crude schematic/diagram once the kiddo goes down for the night.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't know what exactly you are trying to do to. But assuming you just want a "simple way to send the existing speaker output to your own amp/dsp, then feed that back to the speakers...

Buy one of these quad lock extension harnesses. I went with an Ali link because they are cheap and fully populated. They can be found on eBay for a bit more money, but still shipping from China. Just make sure all the plugs/pins have wires in them, you do not want that is not fully populated.

Then splice your amp/dsp wires into the speaker wires that go between the tan plugs...
Ugly block diagram.png

If you sell the car at some point (without your amp/dsp) then disconnect and remove your extension/speaker harness and reconnect the car wiring to the MIB, completely reversible.

xcidmigs

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO
Well as I said I bought a used Helix sub system and they sent it with the factory plug into the Amp chopped off about 18" away i guess just chopped out of trunk style.... So I need to not only extend those wires up to the front but also have the correct plug, looking at various install videos it seems like they are 2 seperate small black plugs? I don't think i follow your idea exactly just yet as far as the extension harness and cutting into that?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ohhhh, you actually need the Helix harness to install a Helix system. I missed that somehow 🤦‍♂️. That Match harness posted by @snobrdrdan is for sure your best (if not only) option to get everything you need.

nonoabby123

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
You can remake the harness, it might not save you much money vs the genuine Helix T Harness. You'll need ~ 30ft of 9 conductor speedwire. And a quadlock extension, preferably with the removable blocks. Will be hacking it and splicing it for the correct pins and plug and play aspect.

The VW Helix amp unit, uses a regular 20 pin molex connector, which you already have.
20220809_134709.jpg

You'll need two runs of 9 conductor speedwire. 8 for the inputs and 8 for the outputs. There is a 9th remote wire in the speedwire bundle, but you're not using it.

Then you have the option of hacking up the extension harness and splicing in your wires from the amp. I couldn't make it fit with the quadlock extension and the OEM wiring.
20220809_134835.jpg

20220809_134950.jpg

I have a different setup for power and ground running straight from battery. But this is the pins from the extension harness you'll splice and teeing in.
20220809_153111.jpg

Attachments

• 20220809_135136.jpg
    20220809_135136.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 49

xcidmigs

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO
Can you break down where you are buying any of those harness parts at aliexpress.com the extension seems to be listed for only $18?
1660134823190.png

Is that what you are saying to use, then chop? the same page shows those kits of the empty connector and all the wiring terminals?

The match harness seems to be avail only in UK for $200 shipped?

Last edited: