GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heater Matrix removal

TDR1

After a winter of no heating in my 2013 GTD, I finally decided to change the heater matrix myself. I have striped out the interior of my 2013 GTD and can now access the heater matrix. I am strugging to remove the pipes, any tips. I have removed the clamps and tried to pull them out but they are really tight. The metal is soft so I do not want to try and ply them apart.
Also, what is the best way to flush the system. Do I need any special fittings?
Thanks

TDR1

Did it myself. I replaced a Denso matrix with a Nissen one and although it looked exactly the same, it must have been a bawhair bigger and really difficult to get it, ended up filing the plastic to help get it in. Is not too bad a job. The Haynes manual covers it very well, removal glove compartment and a few other bits of plastic but I would recommend you do it yourself and save yourself some money

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
So...I'm doing the exact same job (with my Dad's assistance) to my 2013 GTD. How did you get the pipes off the matrix to get it out in the end? That's where we're currently stuck with it.

Glove box etc all removed - that part was pretty easy tbh - we've got most of the coolant out and prepared to catch whatever comes out of the matrix when we disconnect it but we just can't figure out where you break the connection on the pipes to get the damn core out!

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
This may help:

I’ve seen this - it’s good but it doesn’t show how to get the pipes off.

After getting the hoses off inside the engine bay, on the bulkhead, it was a doddle to get the top one disconnected. The bottom one too a further 2 hours of juggling, wearing and persistence before it finally came free.

We’re about to flush the rest out then put it back together and see what the verdict is. The matrix was pretty clean when we rinsed it - I was expecting it to be full of sand - and it heats evenly, right across it. At this stage, only the silica gel is left but I’m now wondering if an air lock has been trapped in there since the timing belt was changed, in July 2019.

fazGtdlimestone

Car(s)
2014 Gtd 5 door
Did it myself. I replaced a Denso matrix with a Nissen one and although it looked exactly the same, it must have been a bawhair bigger and really difficult to get it, ended up filing the plastic to help get it in. Is not too bad a job. The Haynes manual covers it very well, removal glove compartment and a few other bits of plastic but I would recommend you do it yourself and save yourself some money
Did this solve your problem